PMA Swap Woodruff Key?

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I've got my PMA parts all together except the woodruff key. I didn't buy the HHB kit or any kit, I bought all the parts separately. What size woodruff key do I need? Or do I even need one? It's an 80 engine and will be installing a Pamco ignition as well.

The banshee flywheel uses a 3/16" wide woodruff key but the xs650 key is a little smaller. You can get a 3/16 key and file the sides as needed to fit the crankshaft keyway. It works well and takes very little time. If you got a flywheel from xscharge it uses the same size key as the xs650 so there is no filing needed from what I have read.

The banshee flywheel uses a 3/16" wide woodruff key but the xs650 key is a little smaller. You can get a 3/16 key and file the sides as needed to fit the crankshaft keyway. It works well and takes very little time. If you got a flywheel from xscharge it uses the same size key as the xs650 so there is no filing needed from what I have read.

3/16 by what ? what is the other size for the woodruff key that I need to file down?

I've actually found a couple other threads now with this same question and a lot of people seem to agree that the key isn't necessary as long as i have my timing marks right (which I believe I do). If anyone disagrees, lemme know!

90280-05033-00 KEY,WOODRUFF is the key for the banshee flywheel and it costs $3.60 from patzilla. If you don't have the key and you have to pull the flywheel then it is really difficult to realign the timing marks.

The taper on the flywheel and crank hold the flywheel in place, but it can slip. The key prevents the slip.
Leo

Back