Pod Filters & Carb Support

wwitten

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got title to my project bike although have been doing minor work and a lot of research over the past few months. Project is a TX 650A with a XS650D engine. Starting on the fuel side I've cleaned tank, petcocks and carbs. There was no air box or filters on the carbs. In fact the previous owner even had the top bracket mounted under the diaphram cover on one of the carbs.Don't know how this ever worked as there was a lot of while ash in the carb when I cleaned it.

Anyways, question, I understand that with Pod filters I may have to rejet/adjust carbs, given the fact the exhaust is a POS so I will probably wait until I get that replaced to do adjustments. What about the support of the carbs? Read various posts about stock filter box supporting the carbs any examples of fabricating a support. The intake mounts although solid sure don't look they were meant to hold all the carbs weight.

My primairly objective right now is to get the engine ready to hopefully start one of these days.

BTW Browsing this forum has been a great education...Thanks all

Hi, wwitten.

Have you had a chance to visit these materials as yet? Among the lot of them, you will find most (if not all) of your questions answered. Bookmark them, because they will be invaluable as you delve more deeply into your bike's induction system.

Welcome here! :)

TC

I've run pods for 6 seasons now with no additional support and no problems. I do, however, use the stock metal shrouds on the intake manifolds. They add support. I think if you ran without them you might have problems.

On the mounts, if you use the steel cage that goes around the mount it will support the carbs ok. I have been running mine that wasy for years, no prolems yet. The JBM Industries mount it built slightly different and the steel cages won't fit. The mounts don't need them to support the carbs.
Leo

Thanks for all the replies....actually got the old girl running this weekend. Looks like I'll need to do some tuning as right side seems to run stronger than the left. May be a difference in the diagram functionality, the straightness of one of the needles, mixture...etc. Unfortunately waiting on Mike's XS as they sent me a a clutch cable instead of a tach cable which I needed. Now as I think about it should be able to use my old engine analyzer tach....
As far as the carb support just to be clear all I have is the intake parts..the joint, the metal joint cover, and the band, all which I believe is stock...is the metal joint cover on the intake what you are referring to as the steel cage?

Yes, it's a tin cover or shroud that goes over the rubber manifold and the clamp goes around it.

Uni-CheckValve.jpg

Thanks got those and they are in good condition. If these are substantial enough to hold the carbs in place then I'm OK for now. I just remember reading some post on this site about someone having their carb fall off while they were riding and they had pod filters with no airbox. Your pic and pods look like exactly what I looking to do.
Whose filter are you using....not a K&N?

No, not a K&N. These are the UNI pods. Stay away from the K&N or K&N style. They don't work that well.

I use UNIs, and I need to order more, and you could save me a lot of searching if you would tell me what part number you used when you ordered them for your BS38s. Thank you.

I use UNIs, and I need to order more, and you could save me a lot of searching if you would tell me what part number you used when you ordered them for your BS38s. Thank you.

5Twins says UP 4200 for the Uni's on BS38's. I am going to order these this season as the pair I got last season were too big. They ended up tearing around the clamps.

Here's a link to the UNI web site. Any filter with a 2" mounting flange I.D. will fit the BS38s perfectly. The UP4200 is what I have in the pic above.

http://www.unifilter.com/online catalog/universal.html

The BS34s actually have a larger bell mouth and a 2" filter is a tight stretch. I feel the 2 1/4" version is a better choice for them.

Back