Points gap and timing.

Ran great for a few day's then it started backfiring and the point's had closed up. Looks like I did not fit spring washers when I fitted the new point's, so I installed them and also noticed a 1-2mm side play in the advance rod and slight chamfering of on the outer edge of the point's lobe in two areas but not the entire circumference where the left set of point's pad rubs on the lobe. I installed a spare advance rod and lobe which removed the side play and the lobe has no chamfering on the outer face. Reset the point gaps to 016 with the feeler gauges, dwell meter showed both at 32/ 33. Gave up and started it, runs fair but when I went to turn the choke off I got shocked when my finger touched a bare section of throttle cable where it has been rubbing on the fuel tap??. Looks like i will be taking the fuel tank off tomorrow after work to find where the throttle cable is arcing?.
Plug wire pinched by gas tank my guess, been there done that, getting electro-nailed by brake and clutch levers in heavy rain.

My first thought was the tank on the plug lead, maybe I've touched the tank and got zapped. They are new leads with the original covers on them but the tank is a tight fit over the green monsters so I will be checking it all. Can't wait for the boyer to arrive.

My first thought was the tank on the plug lead, maybe I've touched the tank and got zapped. They are new leads with the original covers on them but the tank is a tight fit over the green monsters so I will be checking it all. Can't wait for the boyer to arrive.
You nailed it gggGary, the plug lead was pinched under the tank, all safe now. It ran OK going to work but riding home as soon as I gave it some revs and then backed off the throttle it backfired and popped and farted all the way home. Checked the points and the left side is almost closed up to no gap at all again. I have reset the gaps and timing again and will see how long it lasts. It seems if I nurse it and don't back off quickly it stays fine.?

Bike runs ok now with the boyer ignition and it's great that I don't have to reset the points gap and timing every couple of days. When I installed the boyer ignition I fitted the magnetic rotor so the white paint dot was visible in the hole in the pcb plate as instructed. After reading Paul Sutton's thread on boyer ignition timing I connected the strobe light and it is close to tdc at idle but I get no strobe light when I rev it to check full advance.?? The strobe light worked fine with the old point's. Also the strobe light does not work off the left plug lead.??

Idle timing shouldn't be too close to TDC. If you set timing at the retard edge of the "F" bracket, the Boyer box won't advance too far at speed. Sometimes changing orientation of the inductive pickup (turning it upside down) can help to get a signal from the timing light. Sometimes cleaning the pickup helps.

Last edited:
Good info, try turning the pcb plate 180 degrees tonight. Since I don't have the strobe light above idle I didn't want to advance it too far and hole a piston but I moved the plate clockwise to set it just past the f mark. I will need to loosen the nut and shift the magnetic rotor to advance further. Will try tonight.

As Griz mentioned, it's best you set your timing over at the retarded edge of the idle timing "range", over at the slash mark to the right of the "F" .....

Vh8F2GU.jpg

This will put your full advance about like so .....

ZazdLwN.jpg

The idle timing "range" is about 13° to 17° BTDC and the full advance mark is at 40° BTDC. Setting it at the right slash mark will put your idle timing at about 12° or 13° and your full advance at about 38°. This is fine and insures you won't be over-advancing, and I think the bike actually runs better like this. It runs a bit stronger at high speeds and at high RPMs. This might be true because you may have upped the compression slightly by firing the plug a little bit later. The piston will rise slightly more before the plug fires and that will compress the fuel/air mix a little more, hence raising compression.

Just reset the points gaps to 013 after filing them lightly. Then set the timing with a test light, both were early so I set them both slightly late. I then started it up and the dwell was 22.6 on the right set and 21.9 on the left, tried the timing light and both are firing just past the F range. I am working 6am to 6pm for the next 6 days so hopefully it stays in tune and I won't have to do it all again after work. Thanks again for all the help.
Hey good luck with your Boyer. If you get your Boyer installed and wish to sell any of the breaker point related items Im needing some part to my point system.

Back