points ignition 1976 xs650

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys,, thanks for your help,, i pulled the tank back off... and went over my wires again,, 1 condensor black bullet connection was loose sloppy,so i put a new bullet connection on and re-connected ,, then i pulled the points plate off after marking the r.h.side with a white texta,,i figured out that its been ,7 years since i replaced my points with new ones they looked terrible and to top it off the bottom points {left} had a very loose bolt on the actual wire to the points,, so new points went on and wires bolted right up and today sometime {monday} i,ll try to set up the correct gap and position on the base plate,,, its easy to feel shame for not replacing points far more often ,,after all they are fairly cheap to get from mikes,,, also while i,m at it ,,,,, whats the go with the double lobe points cam that mikes sells as i,ve never seen them at all regards oldbiker

I wouldn't bother with that double lobe cam, most are machined wrong and you can't match the timing from one cylinder to the other unless you take a file to the thing. Also, Yamaha's point sets weren't designed to do "double" duty like that and wear quickly. Wear and subsequent timing changes can result in as little as 3 to 400 miles.

hi guys,,, i did get the bike fired up a couple of times ... and then thursday i walked out to my garage gave the yam a hug ,,,and nothing nearly ,but nothing ,,so yesterday i spent time doing the R.H.SIDE again,, and then i positioned the left side and even got my 20 buck multimeter to read when i was checking each side of points ,, ,,so no i,m back to praying alot which i don,t really go into and wanting to kill the jap engineer that couldn,t come up with an easier points set up ..but this will not beat me ...hopefully i,ll have a more productive outcome with the yam today at sometime ... regards oldbiker

Last edited:
Well, when youget tired of messing with the points, the Pamco ignition is an easy fix. I did and have no regrets. Bike runs great and it should stay that way a very long time. Well the carbs need a bit of tuning, but gettting there.

on sunday about lunchtime i finally got it barking again i forgot how nice it sounded ,, i also found where the 6mm nut goes that was near the motor ,,it came off the r.h. side coil thread nearest the forks so i,ll grab some spring washers and place them beack on , i also think it may not have helped with my earthing ,, regards oldbiker

If you wanted the simplicity of mikes single lobe points cam, i run it will no i'll effects. Although mine is an older lobe.. I like points cause they are simple, and for what i use the bike for (not my DD) i just check them and clean them/set gap every oil change. Bike runs nice and it takes only a minute with a timing gun to set the ignition on one set of points.

ok so i'm new to this site and not really sure where to post something like this??? first off i have an 82 xs650 special and its been a great running bike for me! i really haven't had any problems with this bike beside minor maintenance. now for the problem :/ my bike wont start anymore, its been sitting for a while due to not paying for tags... since april last year to be exact. about two or three months after it was STOLEN!! in my own yard even! got it back the next day after the police picked it up. now i tried starting it after i got it back but i left gas in it and figured i may have gummed up the carbs but thats besides the point. i didnt think much of it and drained the tank and let it sit again until now! so after countless attempts to start it i figured something must be wrong and got to work on it. so this is what im stopped by, i'm pretty sure but not 100% positive that this bike has points and this is what i found or didnt find i guess? is there suppose to be points here or what??? thanks and sorry for the trouble

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/rollerkin8/Picture001.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g115/rollerkin8/Picture002.jpg

Last edited:
Yours is an electronic ignition with the black box under the battery box. No points. the black box could have gone south and you just may have been lucky enough that it happened when the guy stole your bike

man i really appreciate that! here i was thinking the only reason they stole my bike was to take my points! haha thanks for the help :D

Back