Points ignition questions

drafter89

XS650 Member
Reaction score
What's going on everybody? I'm Patrick and I'm new to the forum...this is also my first xs650. I bought this solid motor and frame with only 5k miles on it for 175 bucks so I am trying to get familiar with it. I'm ordering a shop manual Friday. But my biggest question is is where are the points? It's kick-start so there has to be points right? I've looked everywhere and nothing. I checked the model numbers on the frame and motor and they match but can't find my model number anywhere online. I looked up the Vin online and it sais it's an 81xs650s and it was saying they got rid of points ignition at that point so I'm confused. Any help? And my model number is 4n9 005602. Thanks:)

If it is an '81, it would be an H model. Yamaha didn't publish full manuals every year, only every few years. The in between model years got small supplements showing any changes from the last full manual. The '78 E full manual will cover most of your needs and any differences will be shown in the H model supplement.

Back