Polishing a turd (BS38 style) brass included

thrashin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Made myself a nice stainless steel carb brace the other day and decided to upgrade the hardware aswell. Brass washers and stainless polished caps. pretty easy and helped clean them up a bit. top caps and bowls didn't take to the half ass polish job I did to well. But you can tell a difference. What do you think?

5779370242_92a8b9b9a9_z.jpg

5779369282_9fd7bc9fb9_z.jpg

BTW, the new jetting and rebuild is working out nicely:
http://vimeo.com/24439602

Purdy. I dig the carb brace, and the stainless caps kinda emulates the look of top end capped head nut hardware when using Mike's brass washers. Wanna sell one of those carb braces? I would rock it for sure.

It looks great man nice work. Do you know if you need an aluminum intake manifold if you go from airbox to pods? I'd buy one of the braces too for the right price.

It looks great man nice work. Do you know if you need an aluminum intake manifold if you go from airbox to pods? I'd buy one of the braces too for the right price.

The factory manifolds aren't designed to hold up a carb. Jbm or all aluminum carb manifolds are worth the peace of mind in my opinion.

Probably a wise investment on the aluminum carb mounts. The rubber boots were not designed to hold the carbs up and may leak after engine heat and everyday riding. Then again maybe not.

I will get a few more of these braces together. They are polished stainless steel. Fits really nice. The hardware was pieced together from homedepot. My original plan was to replace the float bowl hardware withsocket head allen bolts. So I didn't have to remove the carbs completely to change jets.

The brass washers are #10 and I think the rest is metric 5mm on the top.
I can get more detailed if needed.

Looks very nice.
Keep an eye on the areas where brass and aluminum contact. Copper & aluminum doesn't don't play nice together. I have also seen copper weaken stainless steel through electrolysis to the point that I snapped 1/16 ss with my fingers. Took over twenty years however. Brass is primarily copper.

Well, fashion over function I guess. haha

That's good information to know. I haven't done a whole lot with brass or copper, but I do understand the way certain metals effect one another. I'll keep an eye on it, maybe shim under it with a thin stainless washer to keep it from corroding.

To lessen the electrolysis you can clear coat the washers.
On your stock carbs holders, if you use the steel cages around the holders they will support the weight ok. I have used them that way for years with out trouble. Adding a support isn't a bad idea.
I have thought that building a support coming off the breather housing bolts to the plate you made of stainless would work ok. I just haven't worked at it much.
Using the JBM holders and you won't need the extra support.
On the 72-73 carb set I have the lids are chromed and the throttle cable holders are brass plated. They look good.
Your set up looks good. Putting screws up through and the nuts on top is a good idea. Be very hard to strip the bolt holes in the carb body.
Leo

Back