Polishing question

I don't clear them. I don't want what happened to the original finish to happen again - chipping of the clear coat then corrosion growing under what's left of it. There's no way to clean that off without stripping the finish again.

I don't clear them. I don't want what happened to the original finish to happen again - chipping of the clear coat then corrosion growing under what's left of it. There's no way to clean that off without stripping the finish again.

Thank you 5twins! just the answer I was looking for.

Once you polish up the aluminum, it will be easy to maintain the shine. I recommend you don't use any other "protective" spray on finishes.

I have had my engine cases polished up for several years now, and all I do is use some Autosol polish in the spring and fall, and in the middle of summer. Only takes a few minutes to have them looking good.

Following tips read here, I decided to re-try Blue Magic polish. I had used it many years ago but moved on to others for reasons I don't even remember now. It's wonderful stuff, even better than Mothers, and available in large jugs which makes it very cheap, like 30 cents an ounce.

I'll have to check into it. I tried out my new bench grinder with a polishing wheel and was amazed at how well it worked on my ignition cover. Tonight I plan on tearing into the valve adjustment covers and left side engine cover with some tal strip to remove the factory clear coat, then lay into with my bench polisher.

I'll have to check into it. I tried out my new bench grinder with a polishing wheel and was amazed at how well it worked on my ignition cover. Tonight I plan on tearing into the valve adjustment covers and left side engine cover with some tal strip to remove the factory clear coat, then lay into with my bench polisher.

Hey Sonny, Yea, when I did my forks (during the build/ tear down) for some reason they got corrosion and I clear coated them. Mistake. Don't do it. I'm still trying to get all that crap off of em. I made a polisher outa of bench grinder too Works great. Get it nice n warm and watch the majic! Just be careful, keep a tight hold on that stuff, no kids allowed during, etc.

Back