Poll to assess engine noises

Should I open her up, or leave well enough alone?

• For a 32 year old MC the engine sounds great. Just tune her up!

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Meh - it idles OK and goes Vroom Vroom but you won't know really until you ride it for 50 miles

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Uh oh - I've heard those noises before and it can be trouble

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dude, you paid money for that? Hahahahahah.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey fellers

I'd like to Harness the collective ears of the forum to listen in to the sound of my top end and starter, and to perhaps provide your Point of View on the health of my engine by replying to the POLL.

I bought this baby in April and just got it started after doing the basic work suggested. It will not be road ready for a while - master cylinder is unsafe at any speed at the moment and I am replacing the front end.

But, I'd like to avoid a teardown on the engine if possible, and it sure sounds like a strong running engine to me - but I'm totally inexperienced in diagnosing an engine based on how an engine sounds.

This is a Youtube clip of the engine running at idle as well as with throttle:

This is a clip of starting the engine with the electric start and top end noise: is my starter on the way out, too much engine noise or just right for a 1982? Replacing / repairing the starter doesn't require an engine tear down of course.

I know that it may be a stretch to really provide a clear diagnosis just listening to a video, but thought it would be sort of fun to try :bike: I think this interweb thing is going to really catch on:laugh:

Second video sounds like a little cam chain slap, have you adjusted the cam chain and set the valves?

Other than that, sounds pretty normal to me.

Second video sounds like a little cam chain slap, have you adjusted the cam chain and set the valves?

Other than that, sounds pretty normal to me.

Thanks DE. I have not made those adjustments. I plan to follow the Cam, valve, timing sequence this weekend following LittleBills video. The valve adjustment looks tricky but I'll give it a try, I have the gauges. :thumbsup:

Hey fellers

I'd like to Harness the collective ears of the forum to listen in to the sound of my top end and starter, and to perhaps provide your Point of View on the health of my engine by replying to the POLL.

I bought this baby in April and just got it started after doing the basic work suggested. It will not be road ready for a while - master cylinder is unsafe at any speed at the moment and I am replacing the front end.

But, I'd like to avoid a teardown on the engine if possible, and it sure sounds like a strong running engine to me - but I'm totally inexperienced in diagnosing an engine based on how an engine sounds.

This is a Youtube clip of the engine running at idle as well as with throttle:

This is a clip of starting the engine with the electric start and top end noise: is my starter on the way out, too much engine noise or just right for a 1982? Replacing / repairing the starter doesn't require an engine tear down of course.

I know that it may be a stretch to really provide a clear diagnosis just listening to a video, but thought it would be sort of fun to try :bike: I think this interweb thing is going to really catch on:laugh:
it sounds like you need to adjust the valves and the cam chain tensioner

I agree with what's already been stated. Know that air cooled engines are going to always have some mechanical noise so keep that in mind.

I have the video downloading, but I voted for the first thing. On most any of these old engines they want to run. I normally recommend that if they run and after a good tune up they run fairly well with not to much noise, A little valve noise is ok.
Run them awhile and learn how they run and sound.
Some things running fixes. An engine that has sat for a long time develops things like sticky rings and valves. These lead to low compression. Running often loosens them up and compression increases.
First vid played and it does sound a bit rough on reving the engine. Adjusting the cam chain tension and adjusting the valves will help that. It may need some carb work. A bit of cleaning. www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
Second loading, As the starter is cranking it sounds like the gear that engages the crank isn't engaging as it should, most often fixed by squeezing the spring tighter. The
slow to start may be carb related also, maybe dirty plugs.
Leo

Thanks Leo and Sci. I let the engine idle several times to just get the new oil and filters going, new NGK plugs too.

Surprisingly she starts on the first push now. Earlier when I first got her to turn over the starter sounded a little dicey. Not anymore though. Probably as you said Leo.

Since then I adjusted the cam chain tensioner and the engine is running better.

Next on the list is to adjust the valves. Been reading up on that. What tool should I use to adjust the special screw that is used to adjust the valves? I printed LittleBills instructions, but he replaced that screw with the 10mm Mikes XS adjuster. Mine is stock.

Got it thanks all. Since she wasn't running when i bought her, and sort of a bike in a box project, I'm cautiously optimistic based on how it is running so far. Your seasoned advice is appreciated. JR

I use my fingers to adjust the screws. Well I did till I got tired of playing around with getting the setting to stay while I tightened the lock nut.
I took out the adjuster screw, ground off the square part, cut a slot to use a straight bladed screwdriver, replaced. Use a flat bladed screw driver.
I have since replaced the stock adjusters with the Porsche elephant foot adjusters. I did the same to these adjusters, the screw was much longer than needed, cut off about 3/8 inch and cut a slot.
Leo

Back