Poor customer service from Mikes XS

When Mike's started out he was the only game in town, he didn't need good customer support. It was him or let the bike sit.
Leo

Mikes sent me the wrong part about a month ago but resolved it quickly......

I'm currently resolving a quality control issue with them about bad reg. They are supposed to credit me though.

Aside from the mishaps I think their customer service is OK. Could be worse.

Rule of thumb for Mikes:
They don't respond to emails from Friday until Monday.
Expect 2 days between responses, you really have to stay on top of them.
When they do respond, usually afternoon or after when it matters to you.
Don't ever ask for technical support........you are better off coming here.

And sometimes if you order Tuesday before 11 AM EST, they won't ship until Wednesday. Any other day before 11 AM EST and they ship same day.

I choose Mikes mostly because of part accessibility, price, and free shipping. Customer service is rarely needed, and when I do need it they are usually responsive, especially when I mention how much money I've spent with them. 650Central might compete if they actually built a decent website (which can be done for free, i.e. Magento) and dropped handling charge.

I feel it only fair to update this post and say that both my issue has been resolved by Mikes XS and i received a personal email from Jim in response to this Tread.

I very much appreciate the service in response to my comments. Mikes XS could have ignored what i had to say, but instead listened and responded.. Well done!

I've only dealt with Mikes 3 times in 18 months. E-mails I have sent to them have been replied to, but answers were very short, not even sentences and no name attached. I did have issue with some spokes and nipples. The asked for me to return them for inspection. I did, and they replaced them

I've only dealt with Mikes 3 times in 18 months. E-mails I have sent to them have been replied to, but answers were very short, not even sentences and no name attached. I did have issue with some spokes and nipples. The asked for me to return them for inspection. I did, and they replaced them

If it wasn't for Mike's (650 Direct, and all the others that source from Mike's) just where would we get parts ? Yes there are a few places for some higher quality items but no one else has as many parts and the prices are reasonable for most stuff. One of the main reasons I bought an XS 650 was the fact that parts are easy to find and inexpensive. Try restoring a British bike or even some Jap bikes that were not as popular as the XS and you will apreciate what we (XS guys) take for granted.

I have an issue with my center stand... Terrible welds an misaligned loops... Even though i waited corever to send it back they are taking it back and qcing me a new one monday... Lots of communication and they usually answer my emails in less than an hour during busness hours

Ive had reasonable service from Mikes... but if you wanna talk service... then you need to talk to 650 central. He sets the bar. Im amazed at how helpful he has been to me and Im a small potatoes customer. $20 orders and such.

I am in Canada so I order from XS direct. I haven't had any problems with them, they get my stuff to me in one or 2 days, but I haven't needed any tech support from them ( all the support I need I get here. ) Never had the need to return anything so I can't say much about that . I am happy that I can get parts for my bike so easy and quick.

650 Direct does a pretty good job, but Mike's is leaving it in the dust in terms of stuff available to buy. I wonder if I could order from Mike's for stuff 650 Direct doesn't sell?

i,v been waiting all summer for a speedo cable from 650 Direct and it's been back order all summer long they even stoped replying to my e mails i wondering if they are getting more parts or just selling off what they have to call it qwits??

I'll try to keep this short...

For the most part MikesXS sells replacement parts. Expecting tech support for replacement parts is like asking the guy at the auto parts store to tell you how to replace your brake lines or fuel pump in your car. That wouldn't make sense. I wouldn't expect support for things that can be found in a repair/service manual. Now sometimes a tech question might make sense, but I'm sure they get tons of stupid questions.

Customer support is way better with the new owners from everything I've read. But I never had a problem before.

The guys who run the company now get parts from Mike L just like all of the other companies selling the same stuff (650 central, 650 Direct, etc.) so they probably don't have as much control over quality as you'd expect. You'll learn or read about what is good and what isn't so good. From my understanding of how the company was sold/split, Mike L still does all of the importing of the parts that come from overseas (not sure how accurate that information is).

MMM from 650 Central doesn't want a shopping cart (he disabled the one he had when he bought the company). He's been saying that for years and likes to take orders over the phone so he can talk to people to make sure they're getting what they need. He likes to offer "old-time customer service"... says so right on the home page. He also does a great job of getting you to buy a lot more than you originally intended (I'm not saying that in a bad way.. just an observation over of mine over the years with my orders).

:twocents:

Back