Poor running XS1

the-oz-slider

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All, long time-no-post as things have been going fine with the XS1 until recently....
I gave the green granddad to my son and he has been putting lots of enjoyable miles on the bike, getting tons of compliments and admiring glances etc, that is until the bike let him down on a run to met his buddies at the coffee shop last week...
heres the story.
1. Bike is a real green XS1, engine number 272, with matching frame number. It is all original except for having an electronic trigger unit [Pamco I believe]. New stock mechanical advancer is in place.
2. Carbs have been cleaned multiple times. New filters, original airboxes
3. Bike is running B7ES super black/sooty plugs. Have tried B8ES with same result.
4. Bike misfires when the throttle is opened, with loud banging and flashes out the exhaust.
5. needles are one notch lower than stock, meaning clip is on second notch from the top to lean the mixture.
6. Mains are stock , [115 I believe] but I didn't check that before starting to write this note...but they are stock. Same with pilots, not sure the size.
7. Coils are 12 months old, from Mikes XS inventory.
8. Battery is new [12 volts at rest, 14+ at 2000 rpm], old one had 10volts......
9. Electronic ignition trigger plate was loose, I tightened it up, then these problems got worse. The problem was there before the basic maintenance, but tightening the plate made it much worse.

Question is could we have burnt a diode with a short perhaps, and that is why the bike is misfiring, fouling plugs and sending large quantities of unburned gas into the pipes where it is exploding. I am of the opinion that this is an electrical issue, NOT fuel as the bike has inline fuel filters, clean carbs and the symptoms point to an ignition advance problem.
This is also supported by the fact that the bike will start fine, idle OK, but when the throttle is opened, the backfiring starts and gets worse to the point where the bike stalls. Pulling the plugs reveals filthy soot covered plugs. Clean the plugs, start it up and the process repeats itself to the point of boredom.
I have no way of testing the electronic trigger unit, so surmised that the best bet was to throw a set of points back on the bike and eliminate the advancer unit as a possible cause of the poor spark.
Comments/suggestions etc please?
Thx
Al in Canader,eh

Could be the mechanical advance is not working properly. The ones MikesXS sells have been known to have problems. What was wrong with the old one? If you still have it maybe worth putting back on, (before throwing money at it), to see if the problem is better. If it is them maybe look at an E-Advane to go with the Pamco

Well we did a pile of switching of parts today, and found that when the ignition is turned on there is a visible spark between the ignition sensor and the surrounding metal, which suggests a short, probably internal. All isolating washers and materials are in place as required.
We tried new coils, no spark, traced all the wiring and rechecked our work, no spark....
So we have to assume that the electronic pickup is kaput...its. Pamco, and I assume right or wrong that it cannot be repaired....
So we are looking for a set of points to change it back to an olde-style points ignition system.
I cannot find a new replacement stock plate with points from my regular suppliers, so if anyone has a complete set with backing plate id appreciate a PM....

Thanks
Al

Back