Possible electrical problem???

XSGLENN

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright guys I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out on my own, but I've ran into a real head scratcher here. First off let me give you a detailed list of the bikes setup.
-1980 XS650G with TCI Ignition
- Mikesxs 2.5ohm tci coil part# 17-6803, NGK Iridium bpr7eix, NGK 5k resister caps 7mm wires
-Stock alternator in spec, good battery (12.8v with motor off, 14v at 3000rpm)
-new fuse panel, ground wire / frame sander and re-torqued, all wire harness connectors cleaned and sanded
-removed ignition box to re-solder board
-bs34 carbs rebuilt and tuned
-stock pipes and air box
-aftermarket ignition switch
While sitting at the red light my bike decides to die on me. I pulled her over to the side to take a look at the problem. While pushing the bike I noticed all dash lights were off. I checked the fuses all was good. Turned the ignition switch back on unfortunately I don't remember if the dash lights came back on at this point. Proceeded to kick the motor over a few times..... nothing. Then tried the starter... still no go, not even a sputter. I set there around 5 mins or so then tried again. This time the old girl started with a half ass kick and drove home from there with zero problems. Now a few weeks back I went out to ride and noticed when I turned on the switch the dash lights did the same thing. I checked voltage and all was normal. Kicked over the bike and the dash lights came on, but took another kick or so to get her started. Has anybody else ran into this problem, because I don't have a clue where to begin?
Thanks for any help, Glenn

I might look at the key switch. Dirty contacts inside can be problematic. You can carefully take the switch apart and clean things up. The engine stop switch can be cleaned too.
Check all the connections around your new fuse box. What new box did you use?
Leo

Check your battery again. I had one go bad on me recently like this. It went completely dead while I was riding. A cell must have shorted out or something. When I came to a stop for a red light, the bike quit and there was nothing, no lights or anything. I guess it continued to run off the alternator as I was running down the road at speed but it wouldn't run once I slowed down and the RPMs were allowed to drop.

What new box did you use?
Leo
I picked up one from auto zone that looked like the stock xs650 version, I wanted a mini blade fuse box but the only one they had held 10 fuses.
I ran into a problem with the left handlebar switch housing so I cleaned and applied die elec. grease to the contacts, but to be honest I don't remember doing the right side. I'll open her up and take a look when it quits raining.

Check your battery again. I had one go bad on me recently like this. It went completely dead while I was riding. A cell must have shorted out or something. When I came to a stop for a red light, the bike quit and there was nothing, no lights or anything. I guess it continued to run off the alternator as I was running down the road at speed but it wouldn't run once I slowed down and the RPMs were allowed to drop.
5T, You got a damn good point. A couple weeks back when the dash lights wouldn't work she set about a week without riding so maybe there is a dead cell. Something else I noticed was the day it died at the red light I was running my high beams, so I could see where the extra load would cause a problem.

The coil you have, #17-6803, has a bad reputation.................terminals break off. That could be part of your problem.

Read the link:
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28076

Also, I see you have resistor plugs and resistor caps. You should only have one or the other, but not both.
Well I guess your right about the plugs being resistor type. Hell I didn't pay that no attention when I bought them. I looked up the correct type needed for the bike on Mikesxs then picked them up locally. Before I installed the BPR7EIX the bike fired up on the first kick every time. Now it takes a few kicks to get her going, guess this explains why. Also I ran across that thread on Mikes coils the other day so it in the back of my mind. But I'm getting up parts for a top end rebuild and a pamco is on that list so maybe it will do its job for a couple more weeks

Back