Possible headgasket leak?

Sparky

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I have a greasy, oily spot between the fins on my engine, at where the head bolts to the jug. Its on the left cylinder. the right, though not clean, isnt oily like this. I'm wondering if this is possibly a gasket blown out. Oddly, this side(left) has more compression than the other. I've had trouble with this side previously, but attributed all that to carb issuses; it seems to be running evenly now. I have plans to eventually rebuild the engine, but as i said, it seems to be running fine now. thoughts?

Try a re-torque. Head gasket looks like is leaking yes but nothing to worry about. Well, unless this is after a few miles that is. Left side is sidestand side, I think what happens is that between heating/cooling cycles oil will creep out when the bike just stands there.

Mine occasionally leaks a bit there too.

Get that thing clean, keep an eye on it and the oil level.

no, thats after 30 years. yeah, i'll re-torque and keep an eye on it. but dont worry- this thing leaks so much around the clutch rod and output gear that that little seepage aint enough to worry me!
Thanks!

Re- Torque. Take the large acorns to 32 ft lb, the 8mm bolts to 17 ft lb and dont forget the ones by the spark plug holes to 8ft lb max
Remember before checking to torque setting to back the nut / bolt off half a turn so you dont get a false torque reading from a stuck nut / bolt.

Back