Possible Pamco Issue / 277 degree

Mark Peffer

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Just installed the Pamco ignition on my freshly completed 277 engine. Hooked up things as required and triple checked everything. Made sure that no power was supplied to either "Green" coil or the Pamco unit until the plugs and wires were in place. Found that it popped the 10 amp fuse as soon as I fed power through it. I checked the coils and they read fine. While checking the green wires that lead from the Pamco unit and signal each coil, the left circuit reads full continuity to ground. The right circuit (green wire to ground) reads with resistance. Running the check again, with the coils disconnected, the fuse popped while only the Pamco unit was hooked up. First time using a Pamco system, but I'm fairly well versed with points, Boyer-Bransden, and factory electronic ignitions. I have PM'ed Pete, but see that he always recommends posting things out to this group as there is a wealth of experience here, and I do take into account that he's busy with other stuff. . Anything else I can check out or advise? Thanks!

Mark,

With the coils disconnected, there isn't anything on the PC board that could blow a 10 Amp fuse unless something is wired incorrectly. Each sensor only draws 10MA, that's .01 Amps. So, unless you fried something with the initial hookup, I would suggest another double or triple check of the wiring.

Mark,

With the coils disconnected, there isn't anything on the PC board that could blow a 10 Amp fuse unless something is wired incorrectly. Each sensor only draws 10MA, that's .01 Amps. So, unless you fried something with the initial hookup, I would suggest another double or triple check of the wiring.

I went through the "double check" of everything last night. It looks like I may have found the issue. I installed a washer under the allen bolt that secures the plate. Washer was >just< big enough to brush against the circuit board, probably causing the grounding. I installed a smaller washer, rechecked and found the green wire-to-ground problem was no more. Kicked it over with a timing light clamped on, resulting in a healthy strobe-flash from both cylinders. Carbs go back on tonight, so hopefully I have her back to life soon! Thanks for the quick reply Pete!

Back