Powder Coat

XSsesive50

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering having my spoked wheels powder coated. I plan on everything being coated one color, spokes, rim and hubs. My local powder coating guy told me I still have to disassemble everything. Does this sound right? Can't he just tape off the inner hub brake surface and where the sprocket will be remounted? Is he avoiding a liability in case there is some rust underlying where the coating cannot coat?

On the other hand.......I've been trading ideas with two pretty good powder coaters. These guys have been doing just as you described, checking the wheel for trueness, checking the spokes for good tension, taping off the brake drum, apply the powder, wipe off areas that they don't want coated with damp cloth............processing the wheel as a whole assembled unit. I'd do it with strong spokes. Yep, any replacements needed in the future might mean starting with a different wheel. I'll be doing two wheels soon with the color "polished aluminum".

Scott

Wouldn't you want to pull any seals and bearings, so that they don't get cooked.
Which would mean truing first, then bearing removal?

Yep, that would be the order. Dyna Beads or some other balancing beads instead of weights would be better to balance the tire with after powder coating.

Scott

Back