Poweder coat or paint

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I'm restoring my 72. The motor has been changed, and the coil/tank brace has been cut out,,,and put back in after I changed my mind not to build a bobber,,,lol

The point is, I'm far from original. But. I'm kinda of a purist. I want it to be as close as reasonably possible to original. I'll use after market parts if I have to though.

So my kid is building a big bad ass powder coat oven and wants me to powder coat all my stuff. From the frame to air box's. But I have it in my mind, and one of my old school builder buddies agrees,,,,we don't need no stinkin powder coat. I should just paint it.

I'm smart enough to realize I might just be being too stubborn. What do you guys think. Paint, or powder coat. Thanks

Powdercoat is almost bulletproof. If you have the means to do it, I'd sure go that way. At least on the frame...

Frame, wheels if you're going cast and cases if you're not going natural/polished. Thats my two pennies worth! Then again, I don't really care for slavish adherence to the resto. I mean, if you aren't going to put up with all the flaws of the vintage charging and ignition systems for example, then why limit yourself to paint on the frame. Its already not original, and nothing is going to put that genie back in the bottle. Powder looks more or less the same and lasts far better - and after all, your kid needs the practice, right?

Back