Power tools for motorcycles

mm1ut1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a portable angle impact wrench for work on motorcycles. I want high quality but don’t want to get some too big. Any recommendations ? I tend to favor Milwaukee brand.

I see no value in power impact wrenches when working on a motorcycle. If you've ever watched Pacific Mike work you will note that he never, or very rarely, uses any power wrenches/tools, pneumatic or otherwise. I agree with his philosophy that you need to develop a feel for how things come apart and go back together especially with threaded fittings into alloy components. If you need to hurry things up a little and avoid the tedium of the hand held ratchet, get out the speed handle.

I'm huge on the Milwaukee M18 tools, that impact driver in the drill driver battery kit will do nearly all motorcycle nuts, bolts. get one of those bit kits with 1/4 3/8 1/2 socket drivers, do agree with @hovel about touch and small mc fasteners.

I have some Milwaukee cordless tools: M18 hammer drill, angle grinder, hackzall, jigsaw, rotary tool and my go to M12 drill, which gets a hammering. Excellent tools which I've never had a problem with. I also have some cheaper Ozito cordless tools: Drill, saw, angle grinder, rotary tool, LED light, impact driver and a few others, batteries are the problem with them, but they can be reservice by taking them apart and recharging the cells individually.

Impact drivers are excellent for removing stuck screws and bolts, as long as they are used with good quality bits. I would be reluctant to use them for tightening small screws though, lest you strip the threads.

I also have cordless screwdrivers, Bosch and Ozito. The Bosch is grossly underpowered, but does come with some handy accessories: Right angle driver, offset driver and so on. Bosch tools are pretty hopeless tools through. The Ozito screwdriver gets a hammering though due to my inability to use manual screwdrivers.

Cheap cordless tools have their place, mostly for tools that require a lot of torque and tools that get used infrequently.

I have a cheap Chinese corded 4" angle grinder, that I've used and abused for over 20 years but it just refuses to die. Not all cheap tools are rubbish!

I have a snap on 3/8 air wratchet wrench but very seldom use it. Also a small DeWalt battery screw/ angle driver that has a brilliant operator interface. Uses inertial switches, has no trigger or reverse switch. Find and a watch a yootoob on how it works. Great when you have lots of small screws to run, think carbs.

Back