powerder coating question

Poverty

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im possibly interested in getting my frame powder coated .. Im starting to think it would be worth the money invested .. Now im jumping the gun a bit Im not fully ready to get painted .. But Ive contacted a local powder guy .. and will be sending him pics tonight for a price quote ..

Ive never had anything powdered b4 .. and was wondering what a realistic price for a swing arm and brat frame would be ? and what prep can I do to get the price down as low a possible .. be sides what would be considered normal paint prep

and any other things I should know?? ..

Powdercoating service, unlike automotive painting, typically includes all necessary prep work (sandblasting etc). Last bike, I paid 325. I know it should be cheaper but most shops out here think they're Jesse James WCC rockstar status. Make sure all bearings are out as they will destroy them with the sand blasting. Also plan on using a tap and die on threaded areas when you get it back. On a positive note, powdercoating is well worth the money providing a durable lasting finish.

I powdercoat small items like motor mounts, hubs, hoops, trees, and brackets. Check CL for dudes offering powdercoating services, many are dudes at home w the setup and an oven and charge less than half of what you'd find w a shop.

That being said, I used appliance epoxy on the frame.

I like appliance epoxy bc it dries hard as a rock and is comparable w powdercoat in terms of strength. It's also a spray paint; if you do a bunch of fab work on your frame, or ever decide to switch something up in the future that may require cutting and or welding, appliance epoxy is the way to go. Plus, 3 cans for a frame is less than $30.

I recently restored an 78 Standard model xs650. I got the frame, swing arm, center and kick stand, all the engine mounts, battery basket, triple trees, headlight, speedo and tach buckets... essentially everything on the bike that's black powder coated. I stripped the paint, but he also sand blasted everything. It was just short of $300.

Poverty I had my frame powder coat for a little over $100. I just received one of my tanks back from my painter. He painted an emblem on my powder coated tank and then clear coated for $40. I have one more tank to do for a total three. I can change the looks of my bike every week.

Attachments

• P5120078.jpg
    P5120078.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 140
Im possibly interested in getting my frame powder coated .. Im starting to think it would be worth the money invested .. Now im jumping the gun a bit Im not fully ready to get painted .. But Ive contacted a local powder guy .. and will be sending him pics tonight for a price quote ..

Ive never had anything powdered b4 .. and was wondering what a realistic price for a swing arm and brat frame would be ? and what prep can I do to get the price down as low a possible .. be sides what would be considered normal paint prep

and any other things I should know?? ..

Got one done in Northern Cal for $100, less swingarm.. I'd guess less than $150 would be a good price for both parts.

Same here(Norcal), frame, swingarm, front and rear rotors and 14 seperate pieces for 'bout $400.00. That was 2 stage (color & clear).

I am currently building a tracker and have my frame, swing arm and side stand at a powder coat shop in West Sacramento with a quote of $275. I don't have it back yet but this included blasting the parts clean and baking them a couple of times to burn out oils, etc. I anticipate quality as the recommendation came from a car restorer and the shop has been in business more than 15 years.

Update-

Took the frame in to the loacal powdercoater today ... and to say I was quite suprised at the price quote I was givin after he inspected the frame and swingarm ... can we say $450.$$ Im seriously Like WTF .. dose this seem High to anyone else . .. and tha was without all the other little things that would initally need to be color matched i mean damn .. most people were saying between 150- 300

Update-

Took the frame in to the loacal powdercoater today ... and to say I was quite suprised at the price quote I was givin after he inspected the frame and swingarm ... can we say $450.$$ Im seriously Like WTF .. dose this seem High to anyone else . .. and tha was without all the other little things that would initally need to be color matched i mean damn .. most people were saying between 150- 300

yeah that's high

The coater in Fresno, CA Ships all over. He is the cheapest and the best I ever dealt with.
He coats my gas tanks for $60.

Too bad you aren't near me. I would do it for you for $100, and another $20 for the swingarm. Of course, this is at my home. I started doing it because of the high prices from the local shops, and the turnaround time was rediculous. No time for small jobs, just contract work for them, I guess.

I recently paid 150 for my hubs and rings to be done for my wheels and they were dirty when I brought them to him.. would of been cheaper. Definitely shop around a quick Google death in your area should turn up a few more leads. I'd think between 200-300 would be fair if you bring it to them grease free.

Posted via Mobile

Re-Update
Found a Guy over in Maryland (about a hour away) says hell do it for about 250 including blasting .. If anyone local wants his info .. Ill gladly pass it along

There is a place in Chesapeake off Bain Bridge that told me they would do it for 100 but that doesn't include prep. I don't remeber the name but you can look it up on google.

Posted via Mobile

Yeah .. My work schedule just changed .. I dont really have time to blast the bike down right now .. but thanks

Back