Prepping aluminum risers

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am going to paint my stock handlebar risers white. I have taken the risers down to the bare metal with a wire wheel.

Two questions

1) In terms of surface prep I have hopefuly removed all contaminants and rust with this wire wheel. The surface is currently roughed up from the wire wheel. Do I need to sand it smooth or is rough ok?

2) I want to keep this simple so I was planning on simply getting a can of white spray paint and having at it. Do I need a primer or clear coat?

I have never painted anything in my life so any help is appreciated.

Best,
Adam

No expert either, I would sand with 240 maybe 320 grit. Appliance epoxy seems to be good stuff and found everywhere in White.

Remember to leave bare areas for the handlebars to ground through unless you're tying the handlebars to the frame elsewhere or else you'll lose the single pole switches.

Ok guys. I'll get the appliance epoxy spray paint. Thanks a ton.

Thanks for the heads up with the grounding but I am not using stock electronics on the handlebars so I am good in that department.

Best,
Adam

Ok. So I painted the risers with the epoxy appliance spray paint.

The distribution of paint is not even. Is it possible to lightly sand the paint so its even then apply another coat?

What is typically done in this situation?

Best,
Adam

Back