problem kick starting (sorta?)

maxwell

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I have a weird "problem" with starting my bike. When i first got it, it was a one kick bike through and through, no problems at all. Now, however, the bike won't start unless you have the throttle open a little bit while you kick. And what makes it more interesting is that even if you try to prime the carbs by opening the throttle twice before kicking it, that STILL won't work. She will only start when i give her throttle AS i kick...

does anyone have any reason why this might be happening? i used the search but couldn't find anything...

With stock carbs twisting the throttle won't prime anything, because there's no accelerator pump. I would just give it a thorough tuneup and see what she does then.

well can anyone explain why i MUST have her throttled before she'll fire, though?

no sir. she doesn't like it much, so i try not to use it unless she's been sitting for a couple days.

A leaky float valve will flood the carb, a bit of throttle clears the flood. Also typical touchy "points bike" behavior.

Back