Problem with my TC-Bros hardtail :

Gerwin Brommer

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen :

I'm preparing my '79 (2F0) frame for the TC-tail.

At the point where the lower tubes have to be cut, the tubes are facing outwards
( frame gets wider towards the back ).
Is that normal ? The lower tubes from the TC-tail are parallel.
How did you guys solve this ?

Hey Gerwin, I had the same problem on my '81 frame w/ a G&L Choppers hardtail rear section. I flipped the frame over and very carefully heated up both lower frame tubes right at the muffler hangar brackets. I used a long steel rod that I ground down to the inside diameter to bend the tubes inward until they lined up with the new hardtail section. This required my oxy/acetylene torch to heat them to a dull red. THIS IS IMPORTANT! I have an old set of engine cases bolted into the frame with all the bolts installed and tight! This prevents the frame from springing out of alignment. If you don't feel confident about this, take it to a professional welder. After I got mine jigged up, I took it to a certified welder, he charged me $40 to weld the rear section on.

Deacon makes all very good points

Lots of TC Bros Tails that come through here are put on poorly, make sure you have a jig in the frame before tweaking those tubes, or you'll end up like alot of other hardtailed bikes and grinding down the motor mounts to fit the engine :banghead:

I have a Jig here all made up if you are interested, its just taking up space in my shop...

Anybody ever just leave the motor in during welding? Cover it with one of those welding protectors places sell?

Thanks guys !

I think I put the motor in place and spotweld the tail to fit.
Then I remove the motor, put my jig in it ( yes I have a jig ) and have it welded
by a professional welder.

Yes leave the motor in,also cut a block of something and put it between the axel plates or they will bow when final welding.

When i welded on my hardtail I didnt use a jig:banghead: But i didnt have any alignment issues when I put the bike back together except having to open up where the rear wheel goes, but the engine fit great. Guess I got lucky.. I did tig weld it so maybe the heat was more controlled....

Back