Problems starting

what_accent

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone so i recently purchased a 73 tx650. I also recently just started riding so im pretty new at all this buke stuff. I saw this bike and i knew i had to get it. Problem was it needed some maintenance that i know very little of. So bike used to start up with no problem but now i cant even start it. Where can i start looking to see whats causing this? Thank you ill add pics in the future

Well Bub, first off, get on Amazon and buy yourself a Clymer or Haynes repair manual that covers the 73 XS650, go thru the trouble shooting portion and start there. There's a ton of interesting info in those repair manuals and holy CRAP will they make your life easier! Get a used one for cheap if you want...

Welcome to the group...the XS is a great bike.

Now to your question...there's too many variables to give you much direction. But fortunately, there's a TON of info on just about every aspect of your bike in this forum.

I recommend going to the search function above (I like the "Google Custom Search" on the top/left) to find topics that may be related to your issues. Once you have a better sense of areas...shoot some questions and I'm sure you'll get lots of responses.

Good luck!

It could be as simple as just needing a tune-up. These are old machines and require a tune-up every so many miles. This includes stuff like checking and setting (if necessary) valves, timing chain tension, points, timing, and the carbs. Ride it long enough without checking this stuff and it will stop running. Yes, you need a manual. There is one on-line you can access for free until you get an actual book. This is for the '78 and later models but the tune-up info applies to your model as well .....

http://www.biker.net/

Thanks guys so the bike came with a yamaha manual so i started doing some reading there. I didnt really know where to start so im gonna work my way to the main cylinder but ill start at the air filters. Which bring me to another question the manual says as long as the air filter is clean and its fine but it looks in pretty bad shape i wanna see what you guys think uploadfromtaptalk1449776543210.jpg

Hi what accent,
(I don't have one either, it's everyone else. My regional dialect is the correct way to speak English)
You have the Yamaha shop manual?
We only use Haynes or Clymers because we are too cheap to buy one of those.
Read the book cover to cover.
Remove the plugs, lay them on the cylinder head with the plug wires still on, turn on the ignition and kick the bike over to see big fat blue sparks.
See sparks? Triple clean the carbs.
No sparks? Read the "electrics" chapter again and do what it sez.

Those air filter elements don't look bad. You can gently blow them clean with a blow gun on an air compressor from the inside out. You can also blow sideways along each pleat. Those look like paper elements which I'm pretty sure get installed dry. If they were foam, they might need a light oiling.

A tune-up consists of all the items I mentioned but it should be done in a specific order because some of the items will effect the others. The order is cam chain, valves, points, timing, and carbs last.

So i took out the carbs and opened them to see if they were gunky on the inside but it was pretty clean and the gaskets looked pretty new. I replaced the battery and in curently putting the carbs back on. Im going to try the spark plug idea and see if i get sparks

You say the bike use to start up no problem?? How long ago was this?? You want to check that your getting fuel and ignition to the engine.. If your getting fuel and ignition the motor should fire off.. If it will not stay running you may have a more serious issue with the carbs etc.. and require more technical trouble shoot.. Like has been suggested do some searches and definitely use the service manual..

Ill check that because it used to start no problem like less than a month ago and now not even the kick start only if i push it but once its on it runs fine. Thank you

Ill check that because it used to start no problem like less than a month ago and now not even the kick start only if i push it but once its on it runs fine. Thank you

Ha!
NOW you say that!
Only push starts but then runs OK is a whole different thing than "won't start".
Try boosting from a car battery.
If that works, suspect low battery/not charging.
If it don't, suspect plugged slow running/idle jets.

So ive been having problems with the battery they said it was good and then when i went to pick it up it was completly dead what kind of battery do you guys recommend i get since the one i had and even the new one of the same model is not holding charge

Welcome what_accent,

real nice example of a TX650

To get a good response relating to the problem, write a through out line of your problem and all of the things you have done to the bike to try and correct the problem. If you don't the thread will drag on and on............. with a lot more guess work and confusing, "which answer is related to my problem"

You need to make a list and go through one thing at a time. In your book it will have a trouble shooting page. Again go through the list.

Although the carbs are often thought of as the first culprit the electrical system, (charging or Battery), has similar symptoms.

Without doing this you will get a multitude of answers and things to do, although all may be correct it will also be confusing because there will be no order in the different answers and they may net be related to your problem.

Links to a couple of threads that may help.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2736
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367

If your battery is new but not holding a charge, either it's defective or you have a short in the wiring that's draining it. Or, your multiple starting attempts with the electric starter have drained it. These aren't very big batteries and don't have a large reserve. They drain down quickly if you crank and crank and crank on the starter.

Yes, you are very new to all this. The good news is that all you need to know and learn is available here and other places online, and all for free. You just have to put the time and effort in.

Ok so from the beginning the bike started and ran fine this was about a month ago

I got new spark plugs

I took of the carbs and cleaned them.

I just got a new battery ( question: it was not the original it was a sub but the original puts out 12 volts and 12 amps an hour while this new one puts out 12 volts and 14 amps so i dont know if thats bad for the bike. The fuses didnt blow so im assuming its not bad.

This is the list of problems im running into :

One cylinder isnt running dont know what the problem could be.

Trying to find the idle mixture on the carbs not sure which screw it is

The electric starter when it starts i believe it stays on for too long so it sounds like over runs it. Is there a way to adjust how long the starter stays on?

Back