Progressive fork springs:fitting hassles

Jethro Airhead

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just changing from stock TX650A fork springs to MikesXS finest progressives, and discovered the new ones are maybe four inches longer than the stockers! Given the TX650A has a long rolled steel cylindrical spacer between the spring top and fork cap, it's looking unlikely that I'll be able to compress them far enough to get the cap started! Has anyone experienced this, and, if you did, how on earth did you get the cap on?
Thanks, folks, appreciate your advice.

I used Mike's progressive springs on my original '74 forks. As CDNTX650 says, you leave out the spacer. This is absolutely no problem, unless you need to either lower the forks or reduce the pre-load, in which case you'll have to cut the new spring itself, rather than cutting the spacer down.

I used Mike's progressive springs on my original '74 forks. As CDNTX650 says, you leave out the spacer. This is absolutely no problem, unless you need to either lower the forks or reduce the pre-load, in which case you'll have to cut the new spring itself, rather than cutting the spacer down.

Excellent: no, the forks will stay as they are, the spacers will go into a ziplock bag. Thanks for your help, profoundly appreciated. Best wishes.

Back