Progressive Fork Springs, XS1B

Hi to all, it's been about one year since we had this conversation, thought I would report back. Didn't ride at all over the winter and very little last summer. So far this season I've put about 250 miles on the bike. The bike really seems to handle quite nice, that is probably an effect of all the things that are new/replaced (Progressive springs up front, steering head roller bearings, swing arm bushings, rear shocks and of course modern tires). Here is what I notice about the progressive springs, if the front end becomes light (lets say accelerating over a rise in the road) and the road becomes rough the forks fully extend and will clunk against the retainers that hold the lower fork on, kind of an odd feeling. As of this point I don't notice any settling in of the springs, they have stayed the same since the first mile. So the jury is out, should I wait a bit longer to see if there is some further settling of the springs or cut them maybe 40mm shorter? I'm leaning towards cut.

Last edited:
If you put the springs back on the all-thread and fully compress them, they should collapse a little and end up shorter. At least that's what happened on some stock ones I was checking, and I didn't want that, lol. I had to hang them with weights off the bottom and stretch them back out.

1fvZ4nJ.jpg

z4QB951.jpg

Hmmmm, but wouldn’t that change the geometry of the spring? Maybe not a bad thing.

Back