Progressive springs, 2" drop, Minton mods too??

wannabridin

XS650 Guru
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So just wondering if anyone has installed one of Hugh's drop kits, progressive springs AND done the Minton Mods. I know 5twins did progressive springs, minton mods, 7 ounces oil and some other things, but I've not found anyone that has done these and the drop. I'm assuming all of them would compliment each other nicely.

Would I have to drill the drop spacer out to match the minton mods? Also, Hugh recommended to take out about 0.5" from the spring, but I think I'll start with the stock length and then remove as necessary from there. Please let me know your thoughts. And yes, I searched for awhile, but was unable to find the proper information. Thanks!!!

Well dropping the springs is a last resort to tune the suspension, so def. Not a requirement. Drop kit shouldn't negate anything, just change the front geometry.

So I'm kind of an idiot... Hughs drop pieces go on to top of the damper rod and don't interact with the lower holes at all!! DOH!!

So performing the minton mods will be a standard procedure. Looks like I'll still the holes like 5twins did, 7 oz of fluid and the progressive springs. Should be pretty nice considering it will be slightly lowered.

There are a couple small holes at the top of the damper rods so the spacer will need to be drilled in line with them. Actually, there is one hole at the top but in doing the Minton Mods, you create another. Hugh's spacer comes with one hole in it already to align with the one original. You'll just need to add another hole to the spacer.

I thought you only had to drill the 4 holes at the bottom larger? At least that's just the instructions I've read...

Back