Project "BMX Build"

I just watched the video on youtube yesterday of you putting the motor in the frame.

Last edited:
Ha!^ Thanks for watching. :)

Yep! I did mine by myself. I'm a girl. Its kind of a fussy method, but if you take your time you can get it without hurting yourself. Be sure to tape rags on all points of the frame that might get barfed up like I did.

Here's the video of me putting it in.
(sorry, can't seem to figure out which code embeds the vid.)
Not my most flattering attire, I admit. :eek:

Nice build. Don't know how I missed this one. You display an incredible skill set too. I'll refer any lady that says, "I can't do that" to this thread.:laugh:

Thanks! I sure hope so. My husband said he'd spring for the sprocket, so that's really nice. I mean, really, what girl wouldn't love to unwrap a custom sprocket? :p

This poor bike has been sitting quite some time.
I already took the carbs apart and did a thorough cleaning and jetted up a bit in anticipation of the Uni pods and shorter exhaust. I will be running some sort of small muffler on there, though. I finally got it running the other day & its just too loud the way it is.

I also plan on putting a white set of high bend bars with the cross bar or refinishing the snowmobile bars I have on there, white. I really like the idea of the cross bar so I can put a vintage BMX pad there. I guess if I can't find the right bars, I can always weld a cross bar in the ones I have when I get them ready for paint. :shrug:
Oh, and a vintage BMX number plate which I'll have the headlights hidden in.

Right now, I have a peanut tank I had on hand on the bike, but I don't like the way it looks for this style. Its a great fit and if I were going a different direction with this build, I'd definitely use it, but the style just isn't right. I'll paint it up and use it until I find the perfect one.
I am fortunate that paint is no biggie; I have been doing it for 20 years. I know paint is a huge (expensive) stumbling block for a lot of people, and I am grateful that I have that skill.

Check out some atv bars.

The bike looks great.. I like where its going! And we have matching foot pegs

Thanks! ATV bars! Of course! :doh: I'll look using that term. I have been kind of striking out the way I've been searching. lol!
Did you make your pegs the same way, Tron? Are they sturdy?

The music was coming through the speakers in my garage through the "I Heartradio" app on my iphone; type in Mark Knopfler and it plays a great mix.
robin_zps591e53b8.gif

Its hard to tell in the picture but I cut the boxy ends off the stock mounts, ground a flat mating surface down, than welded on 1" x 3/4" (aprox) pieces of solid steel rod. I then drilled and tapped the pedals into the rod, and threw another small bead on for good measure.

Them seem solid enough! i have only ridden it a few km's so far though. One thing I regret is not buying the strongest pedals I could find. I feel the NOS schwinn pedals may enter self destruct mode at some point but who knows.

img1028hw.jpg

Those look great! Nice work!
I have my doubts about the durability of my stocker pedals, too. We'll see, I guess. I've never ridden an XS and from what I understand, they're "buzzy". CAN'T be worse than my rigid Harley.
D2F-10BA3BB227F5-3057-0000042CDE8C7EC3_zpsb6a24dab.jpg

(After a winter ride)
35C-C560094A91DD-3057-0000042CBD8EFDCD_zps38917955.jpg

Nope, there are no springs under that seat.

Worse? Probably not.. But buzzier, yes.

As you know, harleys smooth out once you really get moving. The motor anyways (I cant speak for your hard mounted, unpadded, hardtail!)

Xs's just vibrate more and more the faster you go

Back