Project... "Fast & Flow"

So a small update; this is my take on Moto-Style pegs. I didnt have time to tack them into place but I did get them built.

AC0500BD-E742-460E-A878-84E734FC1532_zpsnimqlt64.jpg

2C57B745-8814-453B-947F-86CF2690A803_zpseejup1pr.jpg

Haha, yeah, I understand the 'symmetry' thing. One arena which adores symmetry is aviation.

Then Burt Rutan blew us away with his "Boomerang"...
View attachment 47351

It's hard enough to keep the symmetrically built ones straight. A recent runway excursion that affected alignment and symmetry. That's one less Embraer Phenom 300 to ruin my weekend (after the one when we dug it out, at least!

Attachments

• 541ca9f497d22.image.jpg
    541ca9f497d22.image.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 188
Here we are; Moto-Pegs tacked into place. Basically the insides of the inside plates will get welded to the frame. With a sleeve between them this allows one bolt removal/installation for when taking the engine in and out of the frame, as well as allowing the peg to pivot up in case of an impact from below, but they cannot pivot down at all. I'm really liking the big bold look and grippyness of these things now that they are installed.

A8EB40EF-3EA5-4E9A-AE23-1430972EE931_zpsah4ocbpe.jpg

68681221-4ABD-47DC-BFC9-18075576B3F1_zps2gyy1sj3.jpg

Brutal. Love the bike so far. How is it coming?

Thanks man. The bike isn't coming very quickly as of recent. I just got back from my wedding/honeymoon so I wasn't able to work on the bike for the last three weeks basically. I jumped on it last night for the first time in a while and started at the exhaust. I made good progress but didn't snap any pics. Thinking about doing something unique with 2-1 into a sport bike slip-on muffler rather than the typical straight pipes, not decided yet tho as those aftermarket mufflers are pretty pricey around here ($400+). I think for now I'm going to weld it up as high pipes that are straight out and then down the road further into the build I may reconsider the muffler.

Was able to get the exhaust built over last weekend, had to use some heat and force to fine tune its position once everything was welded up. I also drilled my rear mag last night, just need to take the bearings and seals out and then I can powdercoat it and have my tire switched over.

7008E8DF-53DF-489D-8134-C01560045CF3_zps9kv4tvda.jpg

4AC71804-009B-4CC6-9BF5-9A5A34AA5ED9_zpsxdznqpyv.jpg

1588C28B-F6FB-4E97-BDCE-49128D55D8B5_zps2yshgc2p.jpg

11A3DD8F-D40B-4D0B-97D1-A084789BA815_zpsydadiknv.jpg

Looking good! Got some rad lines going on...

Those pedals made my butt pucker for a second. Had a flashback to falling off my odyssey shark bite pedals riding bmx in the 80s... They look good!

Looking good! Got some rad lines going on...

Those pedals made my butt pucker for a second. Had a flashback to falling off my odyssey shark bite pedals riding bmx in the 80s... They look good!

hahah Thanks, the sharp lines are what I'm building this entire bike around so I'm glad that its coming through that way. I've had some unfortunate encounters with dirtbike pegs in the past, but hopefully I won't be in those situations on this street bike.

I'm looking for some input on my wiring diagram below. I'm going to be placing my order for wiring and other electrical supplies soon so I just want confirmation of the wire gauges and if anyone see's something that seems incorrect to point it out. It never hurts to have more than one set of eyes on something, especially wiring diagrams.

Just some notes on my system:
- the headlight has a separate DRL (LED), Low and Hi beams.
- the taillight will be constantly on dim (LED), then bright (LED) when brakes are actuated.
- no signals, speedo lights, hi beam light etc..

Also, does anyone know of the minimum Amp Hour requirement for a battery to run the electric starter?

XS650WD2_zps629a9bcc.png

Last edited:
Still looking for input on the electrical questions posted above...

On the other hand, here are some updates on what I was able to get done this past weekend. Got the rear brake system tacked on and working. Got the rear fender mostly trimmed and tacked into place. Got the headlight bracket made and installed. And also cut and welded caps for my "electronics box".

FCD48D26-A239-43A4-A22A-C61E7914FB04_zpsttwasmkk.jpg

4C1BCBF7-0955-4348-A218-5C5327226DE2_zpsfa7dpfvx.jpg

3224A3D5-9763-4E5A-90AC-8C77BD9EE1EA_zpsn7yby4ei.jpg

69BC998B-CB56-46DE-AD87-DBC986D9C9E7_zpsjtjd9tbp.jpg

84CAFF93-18D3-4C3C-B738-A4CCCCC333F9_zpscjqh6cmo.jpg

E3C125E2-73B0-491D-9BCA-9D12032F68D8_zps1x7luhzo.jpg

F0E7C459-3F17-4566-AD19-FF185A04885A_zpsfdqdf6bf.jpg

I don't have a lot to say about the wiring but I don't see a horn in there.

Also, most wiring diagrams have the reg/rec powered all the time. It might just be my reg/rec but it drained my battery wired like that. I now have everything going through the key switch so when key is off nothing can drain power.

I never bothered with headlight relays either.

Killer build so far, keep up the good work!

I believe that if you wired the PMA rec/reg after the ignition, the bike would stay running when you turned it off. The way the schematic is looks right to me.

The headlight kind of confuses me. You have a highbeam, lowbeam, power, and ground?

I also dont plan on using relays.

Fuses are great but do you really need so many? Your main, lights, and coil seems like enough but that's just an opinion.

I don't have a lot to say about the wiring but I don't see a horn in there.

Also, most wiring diagrams have the reg/rec powered all the time. It might just be my reg/rec but it drained my battery wired like that. I now have everything going through the key switch so when key is off nothing can drain power.

I never bothered with headlight relays either.

Killer build so far, keep up the good work!

Thanks lowerc, however this bike will not have a horn. The reg will just be charging the battery when the bike is running, it shouldn't be consuming power, that's why its wired direct to the battery. Hugh's install wiring diagram also shows this. The only reason I'm going with headlight relays is because my switch is fairly light duty (only good for 3A i think?) and I read somewhere that the low beams and high beams can pull close to 5A. I might change out the switch if I can find a fairly small one that can handle the Amps.

I believe that if you wired the PMA rec/reg after the ignition, the bike would stay running when you turned it off. The way the schematic is looks right to me.

The headlight kind of confuses me. You have a highbeam, lowbeam, power, and ground?

I also dont plan on using relays.

Fuses are great but do you really need so many? Your main, lights, and coil seems like enough but that's just an opinion.

Yes, the headlight has a running light (LED) and then a low beam and a high beam and a ground.

See above comment for reason on using relays.

I designed it with a separate circuit for almost everything, but you are correct that it might be a little over kill. This was just a first draft and when it comes down to it I'll probably group together a few of them to get down to 3-4 fuses. Thanks for the comments Kathos.

Still looking great.

Have to say, I just noticed your Multimatic under the bench, such a nice little unit there...

Still looking great.

Have to say, I just noticed your Multimatic under the bench, such a nice little unit there...

Thanks man. Yea, that Passport Plus is the best little/transportable welder I've ever owned. Too bad they discontinued it for the 3 in 1 suitcase welder they have now.

I was able to source a more heavy duty headlight switch so I've revised my wiring diagram to remove the two headlight relays and also combined some of the circuits to cut down the amount of fuses. Let me know what you guys think.

XS650WD3_zps9a8877c5.png

So are all your similar colored lines connected? Just trying to make sense of what you're thinking. If they're not, usually people draw small arcs to show no shared connections.

So are all your similar colored lines connected? Just trying to make sense of what you're thinking. If they're not, usually people draw small arcs to show no shared connections.

Yes, with the exception of where the line splits to go into the brake switches it goes from Red to Orange. Assume where all my lines cross or T or split that they are connected, unless I've shown an arc. But in this case I have no arcs in this diagram.

Back