Project "McQueen1"

Lou_TX

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This is a bike that was dumped on its side, broke a few things, sat in someone's garage for 7 years at least (yes, with fuel in the carbs), wasn't charging, wouldn't even turn on (with a good battery), with no front brake, busted speedometer, had 0 working turn signals or brake lights and in general was in a very poor scrap-yard shape. But hey, it had two good like-new tires. And I was promised that the engine is in good shape and compression readings proved to be good. I could not help myself, the price was right (close to free) and I am a sucker for fixing broken things. So I hooked up the trailer and went to go get her to give her a better home.

She does not look too bad in the pictures. But you know the saying: she looks good from far but FAR from good. :)
Lots of stuff on this bike was broken and busted. And again, 0 power with the key on. Which still did not deter me.
Here are a few pictures of her in her initial state.

I will be adding posts to this thread as I fix more things and install more new parts.

But in the meantime, the running project name is McQueen1 because this will be a scrambler, an homage to Steve McQueen's motorcycles.

00-Original.jpg
00-TowingHome.jpg
00-BustedSpeedometer.jpg

The first day I got a chance to work on her, I took about an hour to try to get power restored. And it proved to be sufficient. With the right diagrams, methodology and discipline, I managed to get power with the key on and got her to crank. But it was not easy. Please gorge yourselves on the following pictures of 50 years of previous owners "fixing" things and "improving" the existing wiring. Any doubt as to why the bike wouldn't even turn on?

01-WiringCuts.jpg
02-AlternatorWiringNest.jpg
03-HeadlightWiringNest.jpg
04-HeadlightWiringNest.jpg

On a side note, I mentioned that the speedometer was busted from when the bike was dumped.
Per state vehicular laws, a vehicle is required to have a working speedometer and odometer if it is to be operated on public roadways.
Instead of fishing for another speedometer and having mileage discrepancy on record, I thought I would go digital.
I removed the whole cluster, including all the dead lights that were INOP anyway. The tachometer WORKS, btw. I saved it and the cable too, in case anybody here needs one.
I will post pictures of the new digital instrument cluster once I can get her outside to get some nice pictures.

08-BustedInstruments.jpg

Moving on ... deciding that saving the mess of wiring with dozens of missing components, hundreds of splices and yards of tape was not worth the effort.
Stripping all wiring off the bike was the first step on the road to success.
Then designing the new harness on paper and eventually running actual wires.
While I was at it, I decided to go the high-tech way and added an RFID receiver to operate the ignition power to the motorcycle. With a key backup, just in case. And 4 fuses to power different circuits on the bike. It all fits neatly into the home-made battery box that came installed on the bike.
See for yourselves.
Enough for tonight, I'll post more another day.

07-WiringStripped.jpg
08-WiresAndDiagrams.jpg
09-RunningMainHarness.jpg
10-BatteryBox.jpg

Correct, it is a 1975 model with unlinked carbs for which I had to buy a split throttle cable.
And the exhaust came on the bike but I have no idea if it is aftermarket or home-brew. Since it is leaking in spots, I wonder if it was home-welded. That's one thing to figure out once I unwrap the present (the wrap). I am afraid what I will find. :D

It took me a while to decide on handlebar switches I like. I am going with a minimalist look but didn't want to go as far as just hidden push-buttons etc. I wanted standard thumb controls.
But none came in plain black. They all have colors.

11-HandlebarSwitches.jpg

Let's see if I text inserted between inline pictures keeps. (this forum software seems to be of decent quality)

Since the only switches I could find had plenty of colors, one compromise was to buy colorful switches and black out the colors. And that's exactly what I did. Disassembly was easy, the switches are made pretty well (and their wiring is also proper).

12-HeadlightSwitch.jpg
13-RunStopSwitch.jpg

Once I had the rockers out, I painted them and after letting them dry for 24 hours, they went back into their armatures.
The end result is exactly as desired. I am satisfied with the outcome.

14-Finished.jpg

Per state vehicular laws, a vehicle is required to have a working speedometer and odometer if it is to be operated on public roadways.
View attachment 324526
Looks like a good project.
You absolutely, 100%, do NOT need a speedometer or odometer in Texas. 100% on that. Furthermore, on bikes this old, the mileage will always be NA (not applicable) when you apply for a title or sell.
Where in Texas are you? I'm interested in your gauge assembly if you are close to Austin.

Looks like a good project.
You absolutely, 100%, do NOT need a speedometer or odometer in Texas. 100% on that. Furthermore, on bikes this old, the mileage will always be NA (not applicable) when you apply for a title or sell.
Where in Texas are you? I'm interested in your gauge assembly if you are close to Austin.
Then I have been misled by the inspection technician at our last inspection station (closed down recently due to inspection fraud).
I will send you a PM with my location.

While working on the headlight mounting brackets and adjusting the angle, I pushed a little too hard on the assembly and its bottom elevation adjustment bracket snapped. That aluminum alloy is dry and very fragile. Drilling it afterwards (to make a new bracket), it was popping off and bouncing everywhere, it was like drilling concrete.
Anyway, replacement bracket has been made and the headlight is now securely in its place. Pictures of the handlebars and headlight (LED projectors) in a few days, once I can get her outside.

25-BrokenHeadlampBracket.jpg

Warning: teaser.
I removed the front forks and put the dust boots/gaiters on them. That, in itself, is not very significant. However, combine that with the lower fork half being cleaned up of all unnecessary bracktetry and painted black with black wheels and knobby tires and you get a naturally more off-road look than the stock bike. But that step will need to wait until she is inspected and registered.
Consider yourselves pre-teased. :D

20-ForksOff.jpg

21-ForksBoots.jpg

Back