Project: Sexy Robot

cmj317

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and combine my introduction, with my build thread. This first post will be a little of both, and then the rest of the thread will constitute the build.

I've been riding on 2 wheels since I was 3. Started with a PW50, moved onto a Kawi KT80, and then started racing on dirt with the 'KTM Kids 50' program. I'm no newbie to bikes. I took ABATE when I was 15, and started getting into sport bikes, and AM Racing. That quickly turned to racing on 4 wheels, which led to drifting. Below are a couple shots of my last race car. It has sadly been sold to fund college, and other grownup endeavors.

_ABC0745.jpg

Untitled_HDR3.jpg

And a few action shots.

25519_1394860824276_1014840804_1170871_2521040_n.jpg

26817_1332823117469_1137750461_30974840_5971680_n.jpg

Onto the XS.

I picked up this gem as a $500 basket case. Completely disassembled. I was a little bit iffy on the price, for a bike in pieces, but the guy was nice, and assured me it ran great when he pulled it apart. (He was planning on bobbing it) I got it home, put the motor in the frame, got the trip-trees installed, and sat the tank on there. It's starting to look like a motorcycle.

2010-04-19%2017.01.26.jpg

Next came the rear sub frame, and wheels. I didnt like the factory height of the bike, and am planning on doing a weld on hard tail over the winter, so I went ahead and picked up some bar stock for ~$8.00, and made some solid struts (not pictured).

2010-04-20%2009.41.55.jpg

Ok, cool.. Day 2 of owning the bike, and it's starting to look like something. All that was left was some handlebars, and getting all the controls mounted up. I had my buddy Andy do all the modeling; mostly for ride height and comparison. (His services are free, he just requires a sober driver on tuesday nights, and the ability to smoke half your cigs whenever he's around) I'm not a big fan of the bars, but they were had locally for $30 bucks, and it allowed me to move forward with the project. I plan on doing clip-ons in the near future.

2010-04-20%2018.53.22.jpg

2010-04-20%2018.53.06.jpg

2010-04-20%2018.52.51.jpg

Now that we have a rolling, steering bike, I was able to move it into the garage to start wiring it up. Today is day 3, and after some woes with the wiring, I finally got her started. She runs great! All that is wired up right now is the ignition system, it's a custom harness, and all the control boxes are located in a PVC canister I made to look like a faux oil tank ($10 is all it costs to be nice and tidy). My plan tomorrow is to get the charging system wired up, exhaust mounted, and pick up a longer chain. I also have to find a super small battery to mount on the swingarm.

Without further adieu, Here's the 2nd startup of the bike. (I didnt video tape the 1st, because I wasnt expecting it!)

lol...that video was great...no exhaust...flames and smoke. The bike is looking good, nice work for 3 days. Im not a huge fan of solid struts, they just dont look right to me, but itll do until you have the funds for the hard tail. Love the nissan, to bad shes sold, whats dragging from the bumper in the first pic?

The solid struts are temporary. I could completely build the bike right now, as funds are available, but I just want to ride the damned thing, so I'm getting it all buttoned up, and then gonna throw parts and argon at her over winter. I have an 02 R6, and it's an awesome bike, I just want something to cruise around on.

As far as the object hanging from the tow hook, it's a NOS (Energy Drink) lanyard. They sponsor the series that I competed in.

Greg Scharton took the pics of the nissan. He's an amazing photog.

Got her mostly put together today, and took her for a spin. All that's left is lights, and a seat. Hopefully I can get that all set up today.

Here's a quick fly-by vid. Enjoy!

Bike looks like fun. I think you have your fork tubes switched. I think the brake is on the right side, and behind the leg.

yeah your right dusty...i had to go out to my garage to confirm, any reason why it wouldnt work that way??? Where in maine are you from dusty???

If it works, and you like it, leave it. The axle is at the end of the leg, so I don't think there is a rake or trail issue. I moved to Topsham Maine from Shreveport.

yeah your right dusty...i had to go out to my garage to confirm, any reason why it wouldnt work that way??? Where in maine are you from dusty???

The only reason I can see would be the position of the brake bleeder, and make sure the tire is going in the correct rotation. You can always move the rotor to the otherside of the wheel and spin the wheel around, that way you can still use the speedo drive.

Posted via Mobile

As far as Drift Alliance is concerned, Matt Petty has come out and helped with a few of our events. I got shit faced on Miller Highlife with J.R., once or twice, and I got hammered in an elevator with T. Angelo once.. Other than that, on a personal level.. I dont know them. That's the awesome thing about the drift scene, everybody is friends, and everybody likes to party.

As far as the brake is concerned.. Yeah, it's on the wrong side, and will be fixed when I get back at it on monday. I had never even seen one of these bikes before I put this one together, and noticed the mishap when I went to mount the brake line.. Noticed it was a little screwy, and then looked at the other bikes in the garage and realized what I had done. I didnt notice any ill affects, but it will clean the brake line up when I flip them around.

I made a half ass seat today, went to Jo-Anne fabrics with $19, and got whatever was in my budget. I definitely am going to purchase a new seat in the next week or so, along with my clip ons.

I've been neglecting my significant other whilst putting this bike together, so I have to go up and spend some time with her this weekend. Plans for Monday are a full re-wire, to clean everything up, flip the forks around, and when the rain stops.. Ride as much as possible.

On a side note, I took the bike out around town today, and it rode great.. But when I stopped, the battery drained. I've confirmed the charging system is good, but I think this tiny 6Ah battery isnt sufficient enough to both keep the charge, and run the accessories. So I've got to fix that. My pops has a sweet ammo box that i'm going to stuff the battery, and electronics into. Should look nice. I'll do a writeup on how I route my wiring, and take lots of pics.

Enjoy the weekend guys, Keep the wheels on the pavement!

Back