proof of date of manufacture

Interesting. Nobody over here could care less about when it was made for any reason, just its model year.

Interesting. Nobody over here could care less about when it was made for any reason, just its model year.

yeah well you don't get free tax and zero road tests over there do ya !:rolleyes:

Nobody over here could care less about the date of registration ......never have understood the obsession about registration dates ......

thanks fishandchips for your very helpful reply (unlike some ) ;)

I'm back on the PC now instead of struggling with a tiny Kindle. I was watching goldrush on the box. I'm totally hooked on gold prospecting and would definitely have a go if I was 30 years younger lol.
Johnny

Hi peanut,

Give Yamaha uk a call. They will require you to email photos of your engine number and frame number and a fee of £35 I think and they will send you a date of manufacture.

I just did it with an import myself, fairly simple process, takes about 4 weeks though.

Yamaha Motor Europe N.V., branch UK
Units A2 & A3
Kingswey Business Park
Sheerwater
Woking
Surrey
GU21 5SA

Telephone: - 01932 358000

Good luck

There is no way to get any records like that from a US state DMV.
Drive the bike into their office? Don't know of ANYTHING that could be more authoritative than that DOT REQUIRED official manufacturing label. Seriously that is the gold standard, the manufacturer could face serious consequences for lying on that label.
I have just been trying to do the same thing. I talked to DVLA, they said “ A vehicle has to be registered within the first week in January, to qualify for that year”. So the vehicle I was trying to get classed as Historic didn’t qualify because it wasn’t registered until October 78. It seems you can get different answers from different people at DVLA, though. Also if trying for an age related reg number for any vehicle, home or imported, DVLA won’t touch anything without a letter from HMRC stating the VAT status. Still needs a NOVA even if it is a UK bike that has dropped off the records during the 1983 conversion to digital records. Hope this of some use to our UK readers.

I have just been trying to do the same thing. I talked to DVLA, they said “ A vehicle has to be registered within the first week in January, to qualify for that year”. So the vehicle I was trying to get classed as Historic didn’t qualify because it wasn’t registered until October 78. It seems you can get different answers from different people at DVLA, though. Also if trying for an age related reg number for any vehicle, home or imported, DVLA won’t touch anything without a letter from HMRC stating the VAT status. Still needs a NOVA even if it is a UK bike that has dropped off the records during the 1983 conversion to digital records. Hope this of some use to our UK readers.

no way ! :) you are trying to register a 78 bike thats registered in 79 ?
fortunately my bike was registered with DVLA back in 97 so there is no issue there. I just need them to add the date of manufacture to my V5c

you are so right about getting a different answer every time you ring them up.

I had my earlier application returned in January saying they would accept it on 1st April 2019
Every time I look on their website it seems the information changes.

I was going to just send the application in again and see if it goes through but I though that I would check out how easy it would be to provide some verification certificate in case it was needed.

My guess is that DVLA are being inundated with applications for Historic exemption and don't have a clear policy guideline from the Government as usual.:rolleyes:
Did you get a date certificate from Yamaha or a club to support your application ?
let me know how you get on.

yeah well you don't get free tax and zero road tests over there do ya !:rolleyes:

Nobody over here could care less about the date of registration

Not registration date (whatever that is) or manufacture date, but model year date. It's an '80, '81, '57 Chevy, whatever. Nothing else matters. We can get special plates, but I think we have to pay extra for them :D

This is what i was alluding to.....an import is registered from the date after importation.........If the registered date does recognizes the bike as a 79 on the paper work then trying to get the paperwork reworked to the production date a year earlier would raise more questions from officious bureaucrats..........Question is......... thinking a bureaucrat may void or question the original import paperwork and make things harder......or maybe worse........no skin off my nose......

Hi peanut,

£40 for the document below.

CCB6CC1B-D64A-4B5D-A069-70C0DB9A125E.jpeg

Just for info,

For those of you over the pond that might be interested, when we want to register a motorcycle with the driving agency the DVLA in the UK we have to provide paperwork for the following.
  1. We have to provide a nova certificate (this just states all the import duties and taxes where paid)
  2. A current MOT (vehicle worthiness check)
  3. Proof of current road insurance
  4. A dating letter from the manufacturer
When they are satisfied we get a document called a V5 or logbook as we used to call them.

As peanut says, in the UK any vehicle over 40 years old does not need any further MOT although it needs the first one just for the purposes above.

Hi peanut,

£40 for the document below.

View attachment 138686

thanks fishnchips :) but don't you think that is daylight robbery ?

The DVLA insist on a letter of authenticity from a Yamaha Club or similar body for an Historic vehicle.

However....... the only way that a club can give an owner the precise manufacturing date is by the owner supplying the club with that date !....ie by taking a picture of the manufacturers label on their bike frame and sending it to the club.

DVLA won't accept a picture of the frame dating label from an owner directly .......yet they are perfectly happy to accept a letter from a bike club saying that they have seen a picture of the label . :umm: :cussing:

Flippin madness in my opinion. What sticks in my craw is that said clubs insist on you joining their club to get a certificate otherwise you have to pay an additional forfeit sum on top of the fee for the dating letter.

Just for info,

For those of you over the pond that might be interested, when we want to register a motorcycle with the driving agency the DVLA in the UK we have to provide paperwork for the following.
  1. We have to provide a nova certificate (this just states all the import duties and taxes where paid)
  2. A current MOT (vehicle worthiness check)
  3. Proof of current road insurance
  4. A dating letter from the manufacturer
When they are satisfied we get a document called a V5 or logbook as we used to call them.

As peanut says, in the UK any vehicle over 40 years old does not need any further MOT although it needs the first one just for the purposes above.

Thanks for explaining that clearly for the ROTW
I think some folk are expecting the sky to fall in on chickinlickins head :laugh2:

The only thing that I would add is that my situation is a little different in that my bike was already registered with the DVLA back in 1997 by the original importer.
The only thing I am attempting to do is simply to add the date of manufacture to an already existing V5c

Hi peanut,

Yamaha uk is the Yamaha branch office for the U.K. , it’s not a club. They probably charge for the information because there are people working full time contacting HQ asking for dates.

The dvla wont accept a picture of the label on the frame because it’s manufacturers number not a date. Only Yamaha can get the date.

Pay your road tax peanut, your country needs you

Garry

Hi peanut,

Yamaha uk is the Yamaha branch office for the U.K. , it’s not a club. They probably charge for the information because there are people working full time contacting HQ asking for dates.

The dvla wont accept a picture of the label on the frame because it’s manufacturers number not a date. Only Yamaha can get the date.

Pay your road tax peanut, your country needs you

Garry
I understand that Yamaha is not a club Garry but they still will not be able to provide proof of the date of manufacture unless I give it to them.

As far as I am aware there is no record or list anywhere in the World including Yamaha that gives the month of manufacture of any specific bike .

I do not see the point in giving Yamaha £40 together with evidence of the month of manufacture of my bike so that yamaha can write back and say 'yes the month of manufacture must be as is written on the label that you provided us with .

Ahhh I think I see your misunderstanding ;) if you look on the label in my image you'll see that the actual month of November is given ie 11/78

As far as I am aware this label is the only proof of this date anywhere
EDIT
well I stand corrected (actually I'm siting down lol)
I just phoned Yamaha and they looked up the manufacture date and were only one month off .Apparently there are some earlier bikes they do not have the full details for but this one they do..lucky me.

Pity that YAmaha couldn't publish the list so that everyone can benefit from it

Last edited:
Lol, the dvla doesn’t trust you peanut, you must be on their records

My bike didn’t have the manufacture date, only the engine and matching frame number. From this Yamaha uk told me my bike was manufactured October 1979 so they must have a record. I didn’t think £40 was bad?

Now I have a letter to sent to dvla stating the manufacture date which I didn’t have before.

They probably just don’t trust a picture of a label.

It’s either pay Yamaha £40 and hope dvla updates your V5 (which they might not do) or pay your road tax.

P.s. I have a Honda Xl250s first registered March 1979, that’s what brought me to this thread in the first place. I was also hoping to go mot and tax free this year. I am in same boat as you because I have to either get a dating letter from Honda or tax and test the bike. Bugger....

£25 for an MOT and £37 tax for the year. Next year FREE...... lol.
yep that is amazingly cheap really for some great Historic motoring.:bike:

i have a 30 year old 944S2 3litre and the fully comp agreed value insurance on that is only £100 .:thumbsup:
I think there is going to be more Historic vehicles used soon as daily drivers .

Guy at Yamaha said it would take 4 weeks to supply the letter so I think I'll send my application in as it is and see what happens. Got nothing to lose I guess.

Back