Proper Electrical Grounds: how to?

MiniDanzig

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Been searching around a lot and having a difficult time finding clear info on this. Thanks to xsLeo and others i have pretty much nailed down my wiring, but i am completely unsure how to ground all these components.

my setup: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/burlymugg/simplifiedWiring_fuseblock.jpg

If i understand correctly some accessories like headlights that are hard mounted ground themselves. Do you guys do anything else? Some places i've read say you run a ground back to the negative terminal of the battery. Some suggest grounding the battery to a motor mount. I'm pretty lost. Any help or info on how to do these so they will last and be reliable would be greatly appreciated!!

pics too! thanks dudes.

Some places i've read say you run a ground back to the negative terminal of the battery. Some suggest grounding the battery to a motor mount. I'm pretty lost.

The stock bike (my '81) runs a line from the battery neg to the frame about 6" away. Then, every ground runs to the frame in some convenient place. They can also run to each other and then one goes to ground. That way you only need one screw with one wire under it. It isn't important as long as they make it to ground. In the stock bike (my '81) the two front signal grounds and maybe the headlight ground connect together in the headlight housing and then one wire runs back to the frame from there. However you like it is fine.

thanks for the reply man. i guess i should have clarified, my stock harness and just about every tab is gone from my frame so i am starting from scratch there. Are you guys drilling/tapping your frame for screws to ground to? i'm guessing lower gauge wire? i've read as thick as 4awg for the battery grounds.

Keep in mind the things that are not grounded on the bike even though we think they are.

1. Headlight bucket.
2. Forks.
3. Handle bars.
4. Gas tank.
5. Carbs.
6. Rear fender.
7. Battery box.

Here's a couple more:
8. Swing arm.
9. Instrument cases.
10. Front fender.

Some of these items, like the forks, may have an incidental ground, like through the yoke bearings on the forks, but these grounds are unreliable and intermittent.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the things that are not grounded on the bike even though we think they are.

1. Headlight bucket.
2. Forks.
3. Handle bars.
4. Gas tank.
5. Carbs.
6. Rear fender.
7. Battery box.

Some of these items, like the forks, may have an incidental ground, like through the yoke bearings on the forks, but these grounds are unreliable and intermittent.

Thanks for the heads up Pete. So what do you do in those front end situations? run wires back to the battery? hide a ground inside the neck gussets? here is what i am working with at the moment for reference.

full

On every bike I set up for me or customers frames I drill a hole and put thread in and weld it on. Then I use two nuts on it. I run a single ground wire up to the front of the bike to ground the headlight and all the grounds near the back go to this lug on the frame as well. It works really well and makes for a super nice ground

This is a good topic. Although it has most likely been brought up before I haven't put much thought to it. I'll need to run a ground strap between the swing arm and the chassis. My battery is going to be hanging under the seat. So that needs to be neat an tidy.

There's plenty of room to run your wires between the swing arm and frame. That's the way I do em. U can't see any of the wires that way.

I've always learned the proper way to ground electronic circuits is to run everything back to a single point or 'mecca' on the chassis as close to where your voltage is created. Every other ground is an extension cord basically and if there is corrosion or too much current for the connection, or noisy components sharing leads with a signal wire, etc. it can cause problems.

And like pamcopete said many things may seem like a ground, but are actually a poor choice.

I can't see it being necessary or a big problem with these bikes with such a simple electrical system, but with other systems (such as a unibody car with electronic everything and fuel injection etc) it can cause huge headaches if not done properly.
As long as your regulator/rectifier has a good connection to the frame, and everything else you add does as well, you should be fine.

A lug on the frame close to the battery or cap negitive is a good ground at that point. Any items on the rear of the bike can ground to this lug.
Ad a lug up under the tank. Hook any grounds from the front items to this lug.
The headlight even if it grounds through the mount should have a ground wire ran back to the lug under the tank.
With out the extra ground it grounds through the neck bearings. Not the best way.
Anything on the bars, like a stock type horn or start button should have the ground path bypass the neck bearings.
These ground lugs on the frame need to have the paint or powder coat cleaned of to bare metal.
Anything that needs a ground, run a wire to the nearest ground lug on the frame.
Leo

Mini I run an independant ground for every component to one central location and then to the battery.
This is the best way.
You can bring a number of wires together in the headlight bucket and then use a larger gauge single conductor back to the battery.

Back