pulled this relay, that relay, oops ?????

jetero41

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
83 Heritage Special

FINALLY got the e start to crank reliably. Removed RLU, clutch switch, both starter safeties, and sidestand switch and relay ( ? ). Had to jump r/w to r/w on both starter safeties.

No fire, wet plugs and I run out of time. (Retail, Advance Auto Manager. Drained tank last nite at 10:00.) Ordered new coil and wires. Checked spark at plugs and confirmed what is obvious , no spark.:banghead:

Been told by a co-worker that can read diagrams a little better than me that I may have cutoff juice to TDI. Make sense ???? I realize there are other potential prob's and have not checked the coil, etc. yet

Will continue my research (have "bookmarked" so many threads and troubleshooting guides that I get lost in them . Need to spend a couple of hours just organizing them. Thanks to all of you ) and troubleshooting but am hoping that someone can read this and offer the "magic wand" that'll get me in the wind.:bike:

Removing the side stand relay is OK to do. All will be well as long as you don't ground the black/white wire. Grounding it, disables the TCI.

Did the TCI give spark before you removed all the electrical devices?

Check for voltage on the red/white that goes to the TCI and to the coil.

9bike last fired and ran in a kick only mode, damn near killed me. Down time has been to get starter functional. During that period of torture several kicks were with a loose batt wire, but the bike finally fired and ran ( mentioned this because of possible damage to coil ) before I decided the clutch needed work as every stop killed the bike and neutral became harder to fine.
Today. Have not had time to investigate very far. I have a spare TCI and will try it tomorrow night as well as check out the coil and test it.

Q RG you mention "not to ground B/W wire " isn't this what the sidestand relay and switch accomplish ( I am looking at the .cafedotcom. ignition diagram ). Is this diagram at rest or running ?
I had intended to ground the B/ W into the B (at least I think the diagram shows B )wire beside it.

I am so sorry that I couldn't get into a dialog when you posted. I meant to add "off to work". Retail sucks, 9:00 to 9:00 today and open tomorrow. 6:00 PM it's me, the bike, and my laptop ( hopefully a new coil and wires )

Thank you

The logic for the side stand relay energizes the relay and removes ground from the black/white, when it is safe to ride the bike.

When its unsafe, the relay is de-energized and spring loaded contacts close a ground onto the black/white, which dis-ables the TCI.

RG thank you. Wiring diagrams are getting simplier but it's tough trying to remember on -off as I look at them. Sure hope I didn't fry the TCI with the 47639 things I tried Sun. Going to the rack now. 4:30 isn't far away

As RG said Check for battery voltage at the red/white wires at the TCI and coil. No sense in swapping good parts for good parts if they don't have any power.
And swapping the TCI box can be a beotch.
Leo

Leo, made the checks you refer to and narrowed the problem to the pickup. Have found a used 1. BUT why is changing the TCI a ........ ?

As in real estate and kissing, location, location, location.
On the bottom of the battery box and 20+ years of rust.
Leo

Back