Pulling out rear wheel spindle

jonasblack

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I go to disengage my wheel from the bike, do I need to hammer out the rear wheel spindle or should it slide right out (that's what she asked!)?

It should slide out. Sometimes a little tapping is needed. However, I have come across axles that were incredibly seized. They required a lot of penetrating fluid and a really lot of very hard hammering with a big mallet. But that is very unusual.

If you do get a stuck one; hit it with lube, use an aluminum block to protect the thread. tap/drive out a bit. Stop, relube, drive it back in, repeat until it is moving along nicely. A stuck part tends to gouge and tear off chunks of metal, they continue to gouge all the way out often ruining the parts. Going back the other way frequently stops that and allows a much easier removal. turning the axle back and forth helps the process too.
I had one so bad the nut was mashed to junk by the PO. back and forth, twist (broke off a screw driver in the axle "locking hole") but patience and back and forth got it out. I had to saw slots in the nut and split it off the threads. I saved the axle.

I guess we should mention that when you install axles, they should be lightly greased. Then hopefully you won't have to go through this "song and dance" the next time you pull it.

Back