pushrod Seal

74-Chop

Gall pechod maur thu-fod trooy throos buh-chan
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and ive got a question to ask

I have a 1974 XS650 chop and the pushrod seal is pissing out oil,

Ive tried to replace the seal but it keeps ripping. Ive seen many videos about filing the edge down to a smooth surface and then inserting the new seal but they still leak!

A friend told me to freeze the seal so it shrinks slightly to make it easier to insert.

Ive also been told the opposite* To heat it up so its easier to fit.

Whats the best solution?

I put 3 seals in and they all stilled leaked. you may get by with replacing the seal and rod with the 1 piece rod,I had one doing the same thing, it needed the bushing I did not have one so I just replaced it with the new rod and seal ( I was going to do the bushing later when I could get one and had time to do ) this fixed the problem 2 years and still not leaking.

I would replace the rod, the bushing behind and very carefully chamfer the edge to slip the seal in and make sure there is nothing sharp in that hole.

As mentioned bevel the hole in the case, I like a carbide edge for this not so much a file mainly cause I don't like aluminum filings in the case. Chuck the rod in a drill and buff the ridge away, use the back of a 3/8" socket to press the seal in over the push rod. I've done 5 or 6 this way haven't had a leaker yet. :shrug:

Data point; while putting in a 5K miles motor today. I found the (still virgin factory install) sprocket was loose. Had to tap the washer flat, tighten the nut and rebend the washer. Loose sprockets make an oil mess too.

Back