Put some clothes on.

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Phoenix is a miserable place to be in the summer IMHO. Riding a bike or just being outside isn't pleasant. I understand hot but I am amazed at the number of people you see riding this time of year without a shirt, flip flops and no helmet. I've rode motorcycle for over 35 years and a couple years ago had my first two-wheeler crash that resulted in a broken bone. My left shoulder impacted the ground first, then my helmet. I sort of rolled out of it and right back on my feet. After a short bout of swearing and stumbling around I began to assess the situation. I soon realized something wasn't right. Sure enough broken collar bone. Funny thing about the whole deal is this two-wheeler accident was on a mountain bike not a motorcycle. It sort of got me to thinking about the safety gear thing and the times in my younger days when I was riding twice the legal speed limit on motorcycles. You get to realizing your not as indistructable as you once thought.
jefft

Last edited:
You only have to come off once at speed to learn the value of protective gear. Sometimes, when it's hot, I'm tempted to leave the gear behind but then I think of what it's like to slide down the asphalt at 60mph. Put it on or sooner or later........

roy

I wear it 100% of the time. Always have. Actually, our insurance is govt run, its mandated for learners. Boots, gloves jacket, 3/4 or full helmet. Your plates have L or N tags hanging on them till you are done your probation and get your m endorsement. Since its govt run, they pay for your rehab and lost wages. Our rates went sky high cause they lost so much money due to learners on big bikes...also their fault. Write a 5 minute test...go hop on your 180hp bike. Glad it is way harder to get the learners now. What a terrible circle of crap. Wish they would have just handed off motorcycle insurance to private, then i can shop atleast. I shoyld say, not all new riders are like that, doesnt help we have the highest distrqcted driving rates in canada too....watch out for morons in cars!

Hmmm , i dont usually post , cause im an ass most of the time but i gotta respond to cdntx...bud..be happy you have provincial insurance( not federally funded) . I kinda make me laugh when people think private insurance would be better (clearly a case of "the grass is greener"). In ontario (where i live) motorcyclists get the biggest non lubed ball gagged rape rate in all of canada. Anything chopped or modified makes it an uber hassle with most ins companies..so most guys end up getting liability only . Got an old bike? Even better welcome to collectors insurance territory (mileage caps and modification contraints(sp) too modified and its not a vintage/classic/antique anymore its now a custom..lol..insurance companies love customs. Lotsa sportbikes in The late 80's and 90's were blacklisted in ontario. Meaning you could buy the damn thing but if you hadnt been with an insurance co for ages (alot at that point would make an exception) you would end up getting reamed with rates like 1800-2200 a year. Sportbikes get a bad wrap in ontario cause of loud exhausts and silly behaviour. I was going to talk about choppers and customs but to be honest i rarely see any on the road. I've seen tons a cool chops sitting garages , some plated some not..i think alotta guys get a project and then it kinda just turns to a giant paperweight in a garage. But hey you can say you gotta a chopper. I would kill for provincial insurance...then at least i voted for the person whose raping me. Insurance companies dont provide choice ..they're like a mafia. There's maybe five major insurance companies who can operate in ontario. They just split the profits through picking the clients they want. Got a few tickets , now your choices go down to two companies cause the other three companies wont accept you. Now where is your choice really. Ontario as a province isnt really fond of bikers to begin with. Cities and towns has adopted bylaw against louder than stock pipes. Cop who harass you or try to intimidate you if your riding a chop or look like to much of a bad ass. Cage drivers yakking away on cell phones or txting (like full on piloting 3000lbs of steel with their knees while occaisonally looking up from their phone to check things out around them) i get it , its dangerous. Most car only driving folk dont like us..sometimes with reason ,if you've ever been in the toronto gta area in the summer you get the pleasure of sitting in the massive traffic jams downtown or any major roadway leading to and from. Sportbike guys acting like lunatics in flip flops or racing up the parkway on both side of the shoulders with crazy gutted exhausts howling for miles ...and thats at rush hour...i used to sneak out late at night to cruise in peace , with out the constant threat of some ass txting tweeting selfy-ing or insta whatevering from his phone instead of driving...turns out doesnt matter what time of day or night you go riding theres drunk folk out there at night ..distracted or in a rush during the daylight hours....at the beginning of this rant i think the point was about private insurance not really being a competitive as you'd think...now if there was choice...and actual choice it would be to have both provincial and private insurance ...sorry if i went on...insurance companies suck in ontario

I wear it 100% of the time. Always have.

:agree: I don't call it my 2nd skin for nothing! ..."If at 80mph rain feels like gravel, what does gravel feel like at 80?":wink2:

... Female patron at local fuel stop: "Aren't you hot in all that?"
My response: "Thanks, you're pretty hot yerself, but I'm cool when I'm moving with my vents open." :D:bike:

All riding gear all the time for me. Used to ride in the dirt, full gear and much younger, still felt it when I came off.

Saw a great sign on a church lawn today:

Smile, Jesus loves you.
If you would like to meet him.........just text and drive.

Yamimoto

OK. -Revision- Impounded phone, doubled insurance for three years, increased rates(revenue) by media plan supplier, with mandatory nontermination for at least 12 months depending on severity. But imagine the social media explosion...:D

..... not to mention all the officials getting hooked on angry birds....

When i see people in flip flops on bikes and scooters i shudder. Imagine toes meeting road at speed.....

hay NON you don't feel it at 80 untill tater that day if at all lol and as far as flip flops go
here what that look's like sorry you may want to look away

Attachments

• 1888558_10152347204848894_1733248686_n(1).jpg
    1888558_10152347204848894_1733248686_n(1).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 56
Uh, yeah I feel rain, gravel, bugs or whathaveyou as soon as it hits the exposed skin when I forget my neoprene balaclava! Hehe, nice pic, it's toe tappingly tragic!!:D

IMHO I think all riders should be allowed to carry guns and shoot to kill anyone on a cell phone while driving, talking, texting what ever. It should be considered self defence.
All my close calls are from women on cell phones.
If they want to try to kill us we should try to kill them right back.
On riding in some outfits I see, I don't think of crashes so much as stinging, biting bugs. I have gotten plenty in my shirt, but up my baggy shorts, not a place I want bugs.
Leo

I know how you feel XSLeo, but I don't believe it has even been banned in all states yet. Heck, I have pulled along patrol cars and seen officers talking on theres. I drive around on day in a box truck and can get a pretty good view of whats going on in cars I come alongside. I don't think I would be too far off to say at leats 25-30% of those cars have a driver talking on their cell phone. Thats a conservative guess. These companies don't take it very serious either. They text us new stops all day long while were on the road and were expected to text them back immediately that we recieved it. I have set behind cars where people were on their phone and they made everybody completly miss the light cause they were so distracted.
jefft

We have a ban but it isn't enforced. A lot of good it does. The cops are on them here too. I guess if they are talking to their cop buddies they can use the excuse they are calling the police?

Heck, I have pulled along patrol cars and seen officers talking on theres. jefft

Officers are allowed use of any communication device during the performance of their job.
Radio, computer and phones. Doesn't mean it is the safe thing. Doesn't mean it is the right thing. It means they get to decide whether or not it is an unsafe reckless action.
Kinda like they get to speed if they are behind schedule. And it is hard to place personal negligence (1. Failure to act with the prudence that a reasonable person would exercise under the same circumstances) to their actions.

Should Virginia police be allowed to text and drive?

The debate is being sparked by an accident in Albemarle county.

An officer hit a man on a wheelchair in 2007, and it was all caught on dash-cam footage.

The victim got a broken shoulder and ew court documents say the officer was looking down at his cell phone when the accident happened.

According to Virginia code police officers are allowed to talk on their cell phones and even send text messages while driving.

The code section has a special exemption for people operating an emergency vehicle, and an emergency vehicle includes law enforcement while they are on official duty.

But does that mean it's safe?

Corporal Carroll Knupp with the Rockingham County Sheriff's Office says that, "According to the code section there's nothing preventing it, but I think common sense would tell you not to text while driving."

Officers say that being able to use cell phones is a bigger benefit than you would think.

Knupp says, "If we get a call for instance, from somebody, we can call them and ask what's going on before we get there, or on the way. We can ask for a little bit more detailed information straight from the person who called in the complaint.

Officers say there's not usually a situation where it's a necessity to text but they warn that just because they are allowed to doesn't mean it's always necessary.

Knupp says, "As law enforcement officers we need to set the example for the public."

© Copyright 2014 WHSV / Gray Television Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Syria Rebels Raid Lebanese Town, Capture Soldiers

More From Our Partners

Finally, One Link Established- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Autoimmune disease and Chronic Lyme Disease (Envita)

Andy Griffith’s Widow to Raze His Home (AARP)

It’s not Junk: The Most Overlooked Garage Sale Items You Should Buy (Reader's Digest)

Meth-Smoking Husband Offers Wife Ride, Runs Over Wife's... (Vocativ)

More From This Site

Wanted Augusta County Man Arrested

Family Is Concerned Barn Fire Was No Accident

Man Tries to Escape Police and Crashes Car

Police Investigating Reported Bank Robbery in Weyers Cave

Recommended by

WHSV.com is happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules:

Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, no links, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards.

See full commenting rules...

National NDN Video

Chapter Two: Composing for a film in retirement

Prudential

Under Armour Launches Biggest Women's Campaign with Inspiring Ad

Inform News

USA basketball head Jerry Colangelo talks about the devastating injury to...

Chicago Sun-Times

NYPD chokehold death of Eric Garner was homicide: medical examiner

WPIX - New York

Christina Aguilera Pulls a Demi Moore!

E! Online

Man with no arms throws first pitch

Fox Sports

Chapter Two: Composing for a film in retirement

Prudential

Under Armour Launches Biggest Women's Campaign with Inspiring Ad

Inform News

Follow TV3Social on Twitter

ABC News: Top Stories

•More Tests Needed Before Ohio City Gets Water Back

•Israel Strikes Gaza as Troops Start Redeploying

•Don't Even Consider Paying These Overpriced Airline Fees

•Ebola Outbreak Feeds on Fear, Anger, Rumors

•Family of American Doctor With Ebola Optimistic About His Recovery

•Five Simple Questions About Ebola Answered

•Strong Quake Kills at Least 175 in Southern China

•California Governor Declares Emergency Amid Fires

•Cops Search for Mom After 2-Year-Old Found Dead, 12-Year-Old Injured

•Woman Lied About Home Invasion, Killed Her Husband, Police Say

WHSV-TV3
50 North Main Street Harrisonburg, VA 22801 540-433-9191 - Switchboard 540-433- 4028 - Fax 540-433-2700 - News Fax
WSVF Public Inspection File

- Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128721978 - whsv.com/a?a=128721978

Website Policy
Terms of Use
Privacy Policy/YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Advertising
EEO Statement
Public Inspection File

AddThis Sharing

Back