quality carb. parts

porkboss

XS650 Member
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks I would like some advice on what brand of carb. parts I should buy. They're for my xs 650 1982 of course. I'm going to break down and buy new floats, needle valve and seat for floats. I finally took the time to take carb apart all the way and clean everything. I drilled out for adjuster screws and checked them all good. Had bike running and went for a 10 mile ride. The motor seemed to be racing when I let off throttle. Kinda scarey. Got back home , next day it wouldn't start. I think I may have a bad float. So I need advice on the best quality parts I can buy. 37 years has taken it's toll on the old girl. Thank you for your help. This is a great place to be. It's already helped quite a bit. ps. is it difficult to adjust valves??

Your 82 should have the black plastic coated foam floats. Put some gas in a cup. Place floats in gas. both should float the same. If so good to use.
On jets Niche Cycle and Jets R Us both sell genuine Mikuni jets. They sell for about the same as other sell Chinese knocks for and are best quality.
If you need floats I'm not sure where the best pace would be. Perhaps someone has a good source and can tell us.
On your float valves you can try cleaning them. Take a Q-tip peel off most of the cotton. Wrap enough 4O steel wool round the end. Use enough to be a snug fit in the end of valve the needle goes in. A bit of spray carb cleaner on the steel Q-tip, insert in valve, spin with your fingers. NO power just your fingers. This will remove any crud down to bare brass and remove any burrs.
If your needles have a steel point just soak them in the cleaner and polish with the steel wool. If Viton tipped just wipe them with a rag dampened with cleaner. Inspect closely for wear. If they have a groove they should e replaced.
I think you can get them the same place you get jets.
Leo

your black plastic floats are okay (if they are original). they're solid plastic and nothing can happen to them. impossible to leak because they're solid.

nothing you are talking about buying will fix the symptoms you are describing.

chances are if it's racing, it's simply the idle screw is set wrong. when it's racing turn the idle screw down so that it idles normally. that will be your new idle screw position. from that point apply choke to start it and add throttle to keep it idling at lights...

i once had a single cyl bike that had racing problems. after adjusting the valves the problem was gone. have not heard of that on an xs650, but the valves need to be adjusted. no, not hard. just search here and you will find innumerable guides to lead you gently by the hand.

Thank you for your help. Another thing thats happening is: I left air filter assembly off and covered with screen to keep bugs and stuff out. I noticed when I was riding it had what sounded like a mini backfire coming out of left carb. and left exhaust pipe. It was not loud but it sounded like I had to much fuel on that side, maybe??? I put the floats level with bowl, hoping that would be close enough. yes? No? When I did the float level this last time it started on it's own, without starter fluid, but still didn't run quite right. It did run much better then before. Very little sputter if any. I did adjust the idle screw while I was out riding, turned it down a lot to about 1200 rpm. Too much or too little? It idled fine after warming up. Whatever progress I made that night didn't last into the next day. Had to use starter fluid and it ran a few seconds until starter fluid was used up and then died. Acts like it did before when I had the float level too lean. Made floats level it worked one night. Now it acts like it's starved for fuel again. I've cleaned every needle and orfice in those, both sides, things. I will replace needle valves for floats and adjust valves and see where that gets me. Thanks again for all your help. Acknowledgments: xjwmx, 5twins, xsleo and gggary

Back