Question about choke circuit??

bsdoig

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just recently got the bike running after a rebuild and have some concerns about my choke circuit on my carbs. When starting the bike (choke on) it will usually start 1st or 2nd kick. After running (choke still on), the idle does not raise like you would expect. I can then slighty rev the motor and black smoke puffs out. As soon as I release the choke the motor idles like it should and no longer smokes. Other than the smoke and no idle increase with the choke on the bike runs great.

After starting last night (with choke) i pulled the filters and notice fuel pooled inside the filters. Any idea why its dumping fuel?

Before I got the filters I didn't really notice this condition (before starting with no filters at all). Could filters create this? I'm gonna try removing the filters to see the effect, if that doesn't work i'll check the choke circuit in the bowls.

Mods done: Installed pamco ignition, uni filters, greatscott exhaust, dual coils, new pistons/ring/hone, rebuild head, all new gaskets, and carbs rebuilt by OldSchoolCarbs (77BS38's jetted to 127.5mains, 27.5pilots, air/fuel 2 turns out).

Any insight would be appreciated!

With the open pipes and Uni-filter you might need to bump the jets up some. Maybe 132.5 mains and a 30 pilots. Air mix 1.5 out.
The black puffs of smoke while enrichener is on is normal. The extra fuel the enrichener adds makes the mix very rich to help it stasrt better. So when you blip throttle you get black puffs.
Quite often you only need the enrichener for 10 to 15 seconds. Unless very cold, like 30 degrees then you need it longer.
After starting the engine usually revs higher after a few seconds, this indicates the enrichener needs to be turned off.
Reading www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf might help with your trouble shooting.
Leo

Back