question about what bike to get for chop

badboy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im new here and I'm going to be doing a build. I have a xs650 frame with hardtail welded on I just want to get a bike that runs and transfer it all to the hardtail. Now I have a choice between getting a xs650 with 17000 miles on it it's a 82 heritage special or a 72 street tracker with supposedly only 1100 miles on it. They are in the same price range the tracker is a little more expensive. My question is would there be any difference in the build if I went with the tracker instead of the regular xs650 heritage special?

Of course, it's up to you, but it boils down to:

Ethics of molesting the early originals.

And

How much it'll cost you to maintain an early engine.

Hey guys im new here and I'm going to be doing a build. I have a xs650 frame with hardtail welded on I just want to get a bike that runs and transfer it all to the hardtail. Now I have a choice between getting a xs650 with 17000 miles on it it's a 82 heritage special or a 72 street tracker with supposedly only 1100 miles on it. They are in the same price range the tracker is a little more expensive. My question is would there be any difference in the build if I went with the tracker instead of the regular xs650 heritage special?

Hi badboy and welcome,
for a start, don't take the mileage as being the truth without definite evidence.
There won't be any significant difference in the actual build, one will be no more effort than t'other.
However, I'd go with the Heritage engine because there's lotsa available spares and the post '80 engine has a better ignition system.
Other considerations:-
the 72 engine is different enough from later engines that some of it's parts are hard to find and won't swap in from later models.
Do either of the bikes have papers? That can be a thing to consider if you plan to sell the frame on after you've stripped it.
Then there's the politics, strip a late model Special and nobody much will give a hoot.
Strip a '72 and the recriminations start.

Everybody............Before you get your nickers in a twist and berate the op.... READ..... the first post properly

...............XS2 is a tracker.............. not original............

Everybody............Before you get your nickers in a twist and berate the op.... READ..... the first post properly

...............XS2 is a tracker.............. not original............

Hi Skull,
the '72 tracker is one of the OP's options as the source of a donor engine.
If the OP sells the bike on less engine the new owner can still use it.
And as a tracker will still have it's rear suspension it can still be put back to stock with a little effort.
OK, perhaps a lot of effort.

Hi Skull,
the '72 tracker is one of the OP's options as the source of a donor engine.
If the OP sells the bike on less engine the new owner can still use it.
And as a tracker will still have it's rear suspension it can still be put back to stock with a little effort.
OK, perhaps a lot of effort.

IMO, without seeing a bike advertised as a street tracker, then i would expect it to have lugs cut off and possibly the tail of the frame cut off.

That's not to say it has been done ...................But..................

And once the serial no's are mismatched then the value and interest drops.

Any how............Back to the op's question................

Back