Question of the day?? Would you pay more for USA Made products???

Its impossible to buy ALL USA made products man. No Bikes are completely made here not even Harley's. I guess we do the best we can though. Also even though the XS's aren't USA made originally, I'm sure most of us on here have re-built them in the US so that has to count for something.

Absolutely. But, it's been said before and I'll just say it again like a broken record. We live in a global economy and there is nothing you can do to get away from it. I ALWAYS spend my money locally as much as possible and if it's an American product, even better. The biggest problem with trying to find American products to buy is just that, US manufacturing is gone. We don't make SHIT anymore. Our "American companies" are outsourcing their machine work and parts to keep cost down for American profits. That I get. I went on a run with a bunch of "Harley guys" this morning and got nothing but praise about my bike, but I am ALWAYS ready for the guy that thinks his Harley is all American. I always love to burst those fuckers bubble in front of a bunch of guys ooggling over my Jap Crap:)

Last edited:
I buy American when it's available. I was in need of new work shoes, I found "made in the USA" work shoes at Duluth Trading. They mostly sell imported stuff but these shoes are made here. Did they cost? Yes and they are made better, so well worth it...

These days I try to buy what I like opposed to days I had to purchase anything I could afford. To me, it doesn't matter if its made in the USA or not--good stuff is good stuff.
If I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times over--I don't mind goin' GREEN, I pay a lot of attention to how I use utilities but I'm not going to pay more for recycled paper products, just because; &, I don't mind buying American made as long as its good, but I'm not gonna pay for products & pay more just because there's a made in the USA sticker on it. So, ya want me to buy it, then don't charge me more for it. If times are so hard (& I don't eat so good either) then set a price I can afford--if buying American or going Green means paying more then, no way. Want me to open my wallet for it, fine, make it worth it, but do not try to sell me on it costing more--just because.

If Americans want my cash for their product then they can price their product accordingly to the going rate of the product. I'm not gonna pay more to go Green or to simply Buy American. If that means they have to take a down to get up then that's fine, I do it everyday & so do many Americans.

Paying more for product, regardless of its origin, really only says one thing to me--the price is going up & at the end of that day, I'll have only myself to blame for shelling out the cash just as if I agreed to pay rent prices, whether industrial or living condition, in some of the World's most expensive places or, if I bought products from places that charge more for their product to meet ends meat in the same high cost places.

My own XS650 uses J.E. pistons, Works Performance shocks, Traxxion Dynamics custom fork springs, Race-Tech cartridge emulators, Probe ignition, Travelcade seat, 650 Central exhaust inserts, and probably more US-made odds and ends if I took more time with the list. Nah, we don't make shit in the USA--the makers I've mentioned make quality products and leave shit production to the Chinese.

Today it is a world economy, and that's ok if we have a level playing field. Many foreign company's build their products here, putting our folks to work. Example, Toyota builds Camrys in Georgetown KY and employs 5 to 6000 people. My company Texas Instruments,
(does it get any more USA than that?) shipped most of our lines to Mexico, Malaysia, Korea and China, laid off nearly everyone and closed plants all over the country. So yes, I buy American made when I can. I don't really care who the parent company is (they're all bastards anyway) I just want it to be mostly made here.

Given two identical products, same quality and everything, I'd pay a small premium (say 10%) for the American-made version. I think of it as seed money to try and re-start the manufacturing might that made us what we (were).

In the long run tho, it's about quality for me. I'll pay what I have to pay (within the limits of my budget) to get the best, especially in durable goods.

My own XS650 uses J.E. pistons, Works Performance shocks, Traxxion Dynamics custom fork springs, Race-Tech cartridge emulators, Probe ignition, Travelcade seat, 650 Central exhaust inserts, and probably more US-made odds and ends if I took more time with the list. Nah, we don't make shit in the USA--the makers I've mentioned make quality products and leave shit production to the Chinese.

When I said we don't make shit I should have specified. American manufacturing is at an all time low for common consumer commodities. Not specific parts for our old Japanese bikes. My bike has about the same American parts list, I get what youre sayin...

I'll shell out the money to have something fabricated to meet my specs, cuz I know that's how it works. That being said, if I snatch something off E-bay that meets my needs, and it's a foreign part, I'm still supporting my global American Corporations (E-bay and the Bank) but I'm also supporting the little guy that has what I need, regardless of where it was originally produced.

Our money is being spent on billion dollar failing solar companies instead of job creation. Another one just died in Loveland Colorado the other day.
jefft

Posted via Mobile

iPads, iPhones, Canon cameras, Nikon cameras, Sony cameras, Toshiba laptops to name a few. All extremely high quality high tech products made in China. Having an attitude from the last century that Chinese products are shit doesn't help solve the problem.

Using local industry helps provide jobs at a more down home level than worrying about big businesses & the troubles it leaves any of us with. However, it seems local business can only cope w/ so much before it needs ta grow or turn work away & if it does neither then big businesses fill the gap, & they, big businesses, are more financially capable of loss than the locals, mostly, because the mom & pop local industry has a hard time keeping up w/ the fluctuations which occur in the market interests, which, any of us that have been around long enough, see & feel all the time.

Greed, greed, greed, A big problem in Australia is we are letting a couple of people and companies get rich on the export of the resources that come out of the ground, and very little of that goes back to the masses who are supposed to own it. We will have the richest person in the world soon, and she just leases land that it comes from.

Why is the Performance Oil Filter/Cooler Kit $149.00, filter $7.00 when across the border in Canada it is $63.70, filter $3.92. Big bore 750 kits $699.00 US, $587.00 Canadian, and the big fined 650 kit, $499.00 US, $391.00 Canadian.

And the Tanks.......$263.00 US and $234.22 Canada.......But the US Mikes Took the Petcocks off $43.00 US each, $86.00,( sell for$38.22 each in Canada), and The tank is still 12%, ( as is all of MikesXS US products compared to the Canadian MikesXS), more in cost and has $86 less in parts................this is what happens when some one localgets a monopoly, no wounder overseas becomes more attractive..........

Last edited:
I prefer Made in the USA stuff, but man is it hard to find. Tried to buy a US made TV recently? Or anything computer related? It's just not out there even for a premium. Hell, I can't even find USA made cookware. Even food: the tomatoes seem to all come from Mexico, grapes from Chile... at least over here on the Right Coast.

IMO the deindustrialization of the US is one of the worst things to have happened here. Very few people these days, especially younger ones, know the value of true craftsmanship and don't seem to care about product quality or durability, only price. My fix for this? Raise the import tax to level the playing field. Re-invest the money gained from that to lower small business taxes and help out US companies somehow.

IMO the deindustrialization of the US is one of the worst things to have happened here. Very few people these days, especially younger ones, know the value of true craftsmanship and don't seem to care about product quality or durability, only price. My fix for this? Raise the import tax to level the playing field. Re-invest the money gained from that to lower small business taxes and help out US companies somehow.
Well put. Japan charges a 25% import tax on cars (also a heap of other fees) so an American car will cost 25% more there for just this reason

Back