Questions about cam chain (timing chain)

dragsterhund

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm working on my roommates 1980 XS650 and this website has been invaluable; I'm so glad I found it!

Her bike has leaking piston rings so I'm working on getting to them, and I'm at the point where I need to remove the cam chain in order to remove the head from the cylinders. I found the master link but I'm not sure how to remove it. I have a MotionPro drive chain tool but the pins are too big to push out the small pins on the cam chain. Would a bicycle chain breaker be appropriate to use to remove the master link? Also, can I just buy a new master link and reuse the cam chain or do I need to buy a new one? Also, do I need to keep the chain threaded around the crankshaft while removing the cylinders or can I just pull it out and rethread it later?

All my Ducatis all have belt driven cams, so it's easy to slip them on and off if I need to remove the heads, and I can reuse them up to a point. Not sure how to deal with a cam chain.

If your just removeing the head, just tap out the camshaft bearings ( tap on the inner race not the outer) on each end and slide out the cam.

If you believe the cam chain is original, then it would be wise to replace the cam chain. Take note of the timing position so you will know how to re-assemble. Put the crank at TDC and note the position of indexing marks on the camshaft. There is an index mark on both the left and the right side of the camshaft.

You can use a small grindstone in a portable drill to grind off the ends of the master link. A new master link will come with a new chain. Connect a length of fine wire (or cord) to each end of the camchain to keep track of the ends, so it does not fall down into the engine. The new chain can be connected to the old chain and pulled down around the crank gear.

The front camchain guide will likely be worn and need replacement as well.

When the head is off you should also hand grind the valves, and replace the valve seals.

http://www.650motorcycles.com/CamTiming.html

Back