How to remove cam chain in XS500

kawasaki kdx

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1976 Yamaha XS500 that has low compression 90 each cylinder and would like to rebuild and valve job, So how do I REMOVE this cam chain???? I have found ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERO information on how this is done on this goofy engine!
006.JPG

On the XJ650 I recall you remove the top covers on the bearings. Are you looking to break the chain to replace or just remove?
It might be helpful to look at the XJ650 vids/info if you strike out on info here or any service manuals.

On the XJ650 I recall you remove the top covers on the bearings. Are you looking to break the chain to replace or just remove?
It might be helpful to look at the XJ650 vids/info if you strike out on info here or any service manuals.
Just trying to get at the cylinders to inspect the rings! I have a online TX500 service manual that says you have to break chain with special(blah) tool!

Will the sprockets come off the cam ends? Breaking that chain isn’t an option.
On the XJ650 they pull the covers off the bearings and pull the cam out. I was thinking the same thing here but that top cam guide I'm wondering if you can pull the cover off with that in the way.

I would put it at TDC (firing) on no1, remove tensioner and lift the cam caps off.

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem, had to remove the cylinder head because the cylinder head gasket was leaking.
The timing chain must be separated. I'm looking for a chain link => does anyone have an idea where I can get this CHEAP?

Thank you everyone for your feedback

Br Hermann

1706175998899.png

Back