Questions about new wiring harness

chrismd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
well hello to everyone out there
i have a question after two years sitting decided to start working on my 1978 standard XS650E. Was into heavy work on my old 1960 type 1 VW back on the road again. the electrics on the bike are messed up wire that T's from the harness to the Rectifier fried it's self strange how it's the only damage that i can tell on the bike. i went ahead an ordered a wiring harness (part#2FO-82590-51) and rectifier/regulator combined (Part#24-2085) from Mikesxs. simply what like to know how to unplug and re-run the know harness, everything is pretty much understandable but the combined rectifier/regulator due to both parts originally being separate how does it work and can someone direct me with this. Mikes said it was simple plug in. the bike will remain as stock as possible no real mods.
thanks, great site

Hey welcome to the site!

I moved this to its own thread so hopefully it will get more attention. :bike:

chrismd;

First thing..................what you bought is a rectifier only, there is no regulator. Its better to have them separate anyway. On the Mikesxs site where you bought the rectifier, it shows the connector and says you have to re-arrange the pins. If you re-arrange the pins then it should just plug right into the harness.

I recommend you buy an NOS automotive solid state regulator. The one I use is a Standard VR-115 that was used on American Motors 1971 to 1974 Ambassador, Jevelin, Hornet, Gremlin, and Jeeps 1972 to 1975. If you buy this one you have to cut off the connector that it comes with and add a connector, that can be bought from Mikesxs. Just google VR-115 and see what you find.................cost less than $20.00.

Other regulators that work are:
Wells Manufacturing VR 727
GP Sorensen R292
Carquest #86079

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=3246

Attachments

• VR-115 Regulator Mar 2009 rev 1.JPG
    VR-115 Regulator Mar 2009 rev 1.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
well to the Retiredgentleman
i will do that, will follow wiring diagram in the manual & take photos of certain areas of the bike before i disassemble. the regulator is still on the bike and looks to be fine. the rectifier was shot along with the part that T into the harness. everything looks pretty good. thanks for the information and tips will check out the regulator also that you included info about
Thanks

To everything thanks,
wondering if any one may have a photo or better diagram showing the headlight bucket wiring hook ups. also what types of tie wraps should i use to secure to the frame. type, strength & width.
thank you

Back