Questions about Pamco with turn signals

scrambledtracker

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm relatively new to the forum, and a 2nd time owner of an XS 650. The first one I owned was years ago, and the frame had been raked poorly, as the bike would pull real bad to the left and shake. I believe it was a 76 or 77. Anyways now I own a 1974 XS650, and am amazed at how well supported these bikes are in the aftermarket, as well as so many surviving bikes remaining. I will post some pics when I figure out how to do it.
My wiring harness was all chopped up when I got the bike, with wires twisted together in electrical tape, and colors spliced together with mismatched colors, and some wires had the coating burned off them.http://www.xs650.com/forum/images/smilies/yikes.gif The bike did run and drive, but so much was hacked off, I got another used, original wire harness, and am in the process of installing it. At this point, I just want to get it back together and hear it run again, http://www.xs650.com/forum/images/smilies/bike.gifbut eventually I would like to build it scrambler/ brat style, and eliminate the battery, battery box, starter, etc.
It seems to me the wiring is so simplified for the Pamco, that the only wires are for making the bike run. I would like to remove the key switch, and just have a toggle for ignition, and a kill switch. So, if the battery and voltage regulator is eliminated, how do you run headlight, brake light, and turn signals? Are they standard or led? I have the standard headlight, but really like the small round headlight integrated into a number plate.(where do you get these?) What kind of switches could I use for the lights, and turn signals, as I don't want to use the bulky stock ones?http://www.xs650.com/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif I can read and understand wiring diagrams, and am pretty good at running and hooking up wires, just not sure physically what parts to use, or where to get them. Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated! http://www.xs650.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Scrambledtracker

You need a PMA to run without a battery. No way around it. There are many wiring diagrams to choose from depending on what setup your looking to run. Many people run the basic pamco ignition, pma, capacitor, rec/reg and fuse box. The Pma will power your bike while it is running. Until you kick it over, you will not have power.
Led turn signals will use less power. You need an aftermarket flasher to run led's because the circuit resistance is lower. Everything you have asked about has been answered, I think your just looking for a place to start.

Thanks for that info, Kathos, and what i believe to be my starting place is getting spark again. What comes after that is...well, I see so many things Id like to do that I'm not sure where to start, but there is a lot of knowledge and information here, and that's half the battle. I have a general idea of what I'd like, just trying to figure out the best method to get there. I like the reliability of electronic ignition, and the lighter weight of no starter and battery, but that may be down the road aways. When I first got it, I was thinking I'd just make a few changes and get to riding, now I guess I'm torn on where I want to go with it. Seeing all the nice bikes here and all the possibibities, I'm thinking I want to take the time and build it right, making it more of an enduro than street.

As everyone always says. Ride it than figure out what you dont like. Saves money in the long haul. Maintenance always comes first! If something doesnt feel right with the engine, its probably wrong.

I agree with Kathos, Get the bike running is step one. Once running, ride it. Ride it at least a few hundred miles. This will give you time to find out some of the issues it might have.
It would seem a waste of money to do a cosmetic rebuild of the bike then find out it needs an engine rebuild.
On the batteryless, starterless stuff, I think the usefulness of those things outweigh any weight savings on anything but a track bike.
On your 74, just to hear it run. run a jumper wire from battery positive to the red/white wire at the coils. This will bypass all the wiring and switches and power your points ignition.
Up in the XS650 TECH section find the electrical section, "Some Wiring Diagrams." I like #4. It shows a basic points diagram with boxes for the later TCI and combo reg/rec. Start in the upper right.
Or just scroll down to find one that has the parts you have.
I Would start with diagram #4 and wire up the charging system. The XS650 won't run well long with out a good charging system.
Once you get that wired, then add the ignition. Points will be fine for now.
At this point you should be able to start the bike and test the charging system.
Oh another thing read this, www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf this will help you get the carbs right before you try starting.
In your repair manual it has testing procedures for the stator, rotor, regulator and rectifier. Doing these tests will help you find out if any of your charging system parts are bad. It has some testing procedures for the charging system but the Charging Guide up in the TECH section is more detailed.
Good luck with your project.
Leo

XSLeo,
Thank-you, there is some good advice there. The bike ran when I bought it, but it fell over in the back of truck while I was unloading it, and took a minute to get it upright. It fired up again, I rode it about 100 yards, then it wouldn't run past idle, gas would make it stall. I have ordered new points, condensors, and carb rebuild parts, but the only manual I have is a Clymer, so the carb link is awesome. Like I said, the harness was spliced up, burned up, etc, so it's cool to see how to bypass all that for a test.

I removed my starter four years ago and only wished that I had it one time. Leo is right about get it running first and then make your changes. I knew that I was going to use different carbs and alternator so I pulled the engine. I did build an engine stand to test run my engine after the changes. At the same time I did my cosmetic changes. Probably not the best way to do things but it work for me. Good luck. Tony C

Posted via Mobile

Back