questions concerning oil

roadstar06

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey guys, so i'm about to start rebuild of my motor= 79 f.. I took oil pump apart and all looks good but uncertain of reinstallation , is there a diagram showing breakdown of each part? i ask because when i took it apart i noticed a flat washer that must have stuck to a part that later fell off not sure if it goes under lock washer or someplace else?? also exactly which gaskets get sealer (yamabond) as i took motor apart the only place that had any were the crankcase. the only mention i found is rocker and crankcase:doh:

Yamabond or your choise of sealers gets used on metal to metal sealing areas.
We have found that applying a thin bead in strategic areas of the head gasket helps prevent leaks.
On the oil pump the washers you mention are on the shaft I assume. The flat washer to the gear then the lock washer.
On most gaskets I use Anti-Seize or grease, a thin coat on both sides. Not so much to help sealing but to keep the gaskets from sticking to the cases. This tears them on removal. The side cover, oil filter and sump plate gaskets get taken apart often, so being able to reuse them several times saves you money.
Leo

i looked at oil pump diagram and it only shows a lock washer, i noticed that the tach drive gear has a shim it sits on i will check my parts bags to see if its in there, if not there I know the mystery washer. thanks again

Yes, you need that shim washer on the tach drive or it may bore itself into the alloy case.

77D Parts file

Attachments

• Clipboard 1 copy.jpg
    Clipboard 1 copy.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 159
Back