Queston on using different, shaved triple trees

Hodakakid

Hodakakid
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I saw an older build featured on xs650choppers (link to photo below) where the guy says he used a triple tree from an xv750. He shaved the tabs off and looks really cool. Someone in the comments asked if he used this different triple tree because it's wider ( he was running 5.0x16 tires on front and back) and would facilitate the bigger front tire. He never answered. Anyone know why he might of used these different trees?

Do you need a wider front to run 5.0x16 tires?

The xv750 top tree was polished up, so are the xs top trees not aluminum? I'd go out to the garagea and check but my bike is at a buddies house.

Anyone got any comments or answers?

Here is the link to the build:

http://www.xs650chopper.com/2011/08/boardchop-by-r-t-choppers/

Last edited:
- - - he used a triple tree from an xv750. He shaved the tabs off and looks really cool. Someone in the comments asked if he used this different triple tree because it's wider ( he was running 5.0x16 tires on front and back) and would facilitate the bigger front tire. He never answered. Anyone know why he might of used these different trees?
Do you need a wider front to run 5.0x16 tires?
The xv750 top tree was polished up, so are the xs top trees not aluminum? I'd go out to the garagea and check but my bike is at a buddies house.
Anyone got any comments or answers? - - -

Hi 'kid,
most likely he used those 'trees because their clean look went so well with the clip-ons.
Note that some clip-on users have utilised the stock upper 'tree's big bar mount holes to mount mini-gauges in by boring the holes out a bit rather than leaving them empty.
The stock forks will just about clear a 5" tire so long as the front fender ain't there.
And yes, the stock upper 'tree is aluminum.
BTW that's an OK looking bike (for a hardtail) in the link. Mind you, rather than the Suzuki front hub in the link I'd have used a Suzuki GT750's double sided 2LS front hub; that brake had serious stopping power.

Back