Quick Question: 82 XS650SJ Fork Springs Visual ID

Crashomon

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just swapped out a pair of fork springs from this new (to me) bike and the OLD springs look EXACTLY like the Progressive 11-1119 that it takes.

So, I'm now curious to know: did PO replace the fork springs on this or did they come from Yamaha LOOKING JUST LIKE Progressive Suspension?

I've done Honda Hawks, KZ750LTD and a few other bikes with this mod (all over 20 years ago) and from what I remember, the springs were always DIFFERENT than stock.

So, if anyone here knows (yes, no) let me know if I just replaced an old(ish) pair of Fork Springs from Progressive or if I actually replaced Yamaha OEM springs.

A cursory search didn't find any pics of OLD springs from Heritage Specials so I'm hoping someone here might remember...

Thanks in advance, I'll hang up the phone and wait for your answers. :bike:

According to the service manual, the stock springs were 482mm long.

Thanks for that!

That translate to 18.9764 inches. I just walked out to the garbage can and measured em; sure enough, they look a notch under 19" so, yeah, visually they're almost identical, so that meabs 'spring rate' is going to be mo' better. :thumbsup:

And, even IF they were PS springs that I replaced, at least I know its NEW and that the fork oil is correct and equal on both legs.

Will ride it a few times to decide whats next on the rear shocks (which I KNOW are original).

In the two serts of 35 mm forks I've torn down, one 81, one 82, the springs look like Progressive springs. Turns closer together on one end. Weather they axctually were progressive I can't say.
One one set I used a straight rate spring with the Minton mods on the dampers. The springs are new from J&P, they fit a early Harley, FXE and Sportster. They used a 35 mm Showa fork. Any way the springs were a bit longer, the wire just a bit heavier, almost the same diameter.
Fit pretty well. Putting the fork cap back on was a bit tough. I used the adjuastable caps, On the loosest setting I got about 25 mm sag, one the second setting I got about 12 mm. Couldn't get the third.
I think using flat caps and a spacer would work jst as well and be easier to adjust.
If you want to try a set the item number is 230-584, $49.99 last I checked.
Leo

The factory springs were progressive. The spring rates are listed in the back of the shop manual.

Back