Quick Question About Powder Coating

cheftay

Keepin' it real
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm going to drop off my frame and swing arm and other stuff to get powder coated tomorrow... Is it necessary for me to remove the bronze bushings before I take it in?

And if I do need to do that, what's the best way?

Thanks!

.cheftay

Last edited:
you will need to remove them, unless you want the end of them powdered. Make sure to tell them to mask the "id"
Getting them out will depend on how easy they went in. If you drive them out, you'll will be in for a new set.

This arm was powdered before bushings. In this case also, you'll need to remind your vendor to mask the ID of the Arm. I cleaned it up with a brake hone prior to the bushing installation.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 233
G'day chef, when painting/coating a frame (particularly XS's) it's best not to paint the insides of all the engine mounts. They are a shoe horn fit to begin with, you can't fit the motor in a painted frame without taking the paint off the mounts. Better off not getting it on there in the first place!

I wouldn't think it would matter with the bushes, as Gantzcb mentioned (welcome along Clyde, glad you finally made it) what you don't cover will be coated, so make sure all is as you need! :cheers:

The bushings were the crap to put in so I think i'm going to just leave them in, I don't really care if the ends become black.
The guy that is doing it for me is also going to sandblast my frame so when I take it to him tomorrow afternoon I'll make sure he masks the ID.
Do I need to have him mask the sticker on the steering column as well?
Anything specific I need to let him know about sandblasting it?

Thanks!
.cheftay

the sticker will not survive. Take a picture of it. It will have to be blasted off. When you put the bushings in, did you put them in dry? If not the oil may ozze out and cause the powder not to stick.

I put a little grease on them but it was such a tight fit that I doubt any survived.
I'll make sure to get all the grease out from the inside too

it's the 400 degree baking that will drive the grease out. Let your vendor know there is grease in there if you leave them in. They might blast, & do a pre bake to drive the grease out prior to powder.

I left my bushings in, and they came out perfect. the painter just taped off the outer face of the bushings. I just picked my parts up from the painter on 4 days ago.

Chat with the powder coater about how you can best coordinate the prep. You want to bring it in clean.

As has been mentioned, ask him if he does a pre-bake after blasting (he should). That will bake out any oils and moisture before the PC is applied. He should have special high-temp plugs and masking to protect your bushings.

^^ agreed , also most guys will prebake everything anyways, its easier to prebake then it is to powder something and have it puke during bake cycle and then have to strip and start over.

Back