Quoted 2 to 3 hours for a valve adjustment

cmattina1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Called my local shop about syncing my carbs for me, figure they might do it for 30 minutes labour or something and save me some hassle. Told me they would have to set the valves first, so I say, "so an extra half hour for that?" he said, "no, thats a 2 - 3hours job" Imagine paying 200 bucks to adjust valves!

And that is the only motorcycle shop within hundreds of km!

Luckily I figured out how to do it myself (syncing that is), valves are easier.

because they probably dont know that they are set screw and lock nut. If it was a DOHC 4 or anything modern for that matter it shim under bucket which requires cams to be lifted out to change shims usually. Alot of calculation for shim size and putting cam in with new shim, then checking with feelers etc. That or they assume your an idiot and are trying to rip you off.

image.php

Every modern machine these days is shim under almost...so if ya cant do it yourself, your payin'.

Try Ducati Desmo.

The older 4 valve Ducs (desmoquattros) 851, 888, 916, 996, 748 was easier to pull the heads off to do it. The Testastretta in my 999 wasnt to bad to pay for....my 20k service was 1200$$.

wallpaper-DesmoValve.jpg

bluming_desmo_8x6-copy.jpg

I hear the old ducatis can be a hassle for little things like that also. I had a feeling he wasn't aware... But even then, it's the same style as a triumph bonneville (as far as I know), and I would imagine most, if not all, experience motorcycle mechanics know the bonneville.

it is, but almost all Japanese bikes from the 80's are shim, except the XS650, SOHC 4 hondas.

Kawasaki KZ, Suzuki GS, DOHC honda 4's and most other Yamahas are shim under. Even my KLR650 is, i had to pay my dealer to do it cause i was out of town working, and that was around 2 hours labour on a single.

All of the 70's and 80's Kawasaki and Yamaha's I have owned were shim on top of the bucket. I think you see more shim under on high rev/performance bikes to avoid the shim from popping out. Still takes time to do a valve adjustment but the intervals are longer. On my 85 venture the valves have stayed in tolerance for at least 20,000 miles. On the Vulcan 900 it uses a small shim on top and to change you just have to slid the rocker on the shaft to remove.

Back