R6 calipers on XS650

Well, it's easiest if you bring the whole front end along.
Older wheels are kinda wide at the caliper location, the 4 pot calipers tend to hit the spokes or mag webs.

Yes I have used blue spot calipers. Also used a floating brembo disc had to make an adaptor plate for the caliper and space for the disc. There is a thread on here somewhere. I have a 10mm master cylinder, which has a nice feel but next time I will try an 11mm also have used a braided steel line.
Road  Bike.JPG

I would guess somebody makes one for sale as it's a popular swap but I made it myself and it's not that difficult. Seems to me it took about four hours or so to make and the material was about $10 for enough to make two brackets.

I found KevC's template in the Tech section and printed it out exactly full size and then transferred the hole locations directly onto a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate from McMaster and all the holes lined up perfectly. I used a hacksaw, drill press (hand drill would work, just have to be more careful) and hand files. The details are located here...

https://www.xs650.com/threads/1980-sg-back-from-the-dead-–-aka-dad’s-bike.54325/post-586244

The details on the spacer for using a FZR 600 disk are earlier in my thread. That one required a lathe so if you have one or a generous friend you can do that too and remove a lot of disk weight.

Back