rapidly getting sick of snow

It seems spring has arrived (for a little while) here in Calgary, with another day at 7C/45F (weather station) ...............my thermometer says 9C/48F, and its in the shade.

A dedicated rider could even take his bike out for a spin, but the streets have too much melting snow/slush, and that would get my bike covered in grime:yikes:

Just come back from the UK, the worst part about the snow and ice is the salt that they spread, I was only there 5 weeks when I put my bike to bed until I get there again, the engine was nice white and furry, and the forks had rust spots starting to appeare all over them. not looking forward to seeing what its like when I get back, probably a heap of rust in the corner of the garage,wish I had the time to lube it all up before I left:doh:

For sure winter is long and hard here in Canada. Fortunately, we have our winter sports to help us through it all:D

Attachments

• Canadian Winter Sports.jpg
    Canadian Winter Sports.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 226
Nobody move the Puck's missing...................

Here is a link to a product that will solve all your corrosion problems. I live i street back from the beach and have no rust problems using this stuff............. excellent degreaser as well http://www.lanotec.com.au/ When i was working on one of the outer islands in the Torris Straight, I had an old ute taken out there on the barge, an 18 hour trip and it got completely covered in salt spray, and i mean completely, when it arrived it was a rough day and the salt spray was washing over the bow of the barge, I used about a liter to completely spray the cab and chassis inside and out before it went and 8 months later the only evidence that it had been in the salt water was where i had missed a couple of spots on the metal timber rack

- woke up this morning to another 150mm fresh snow...my garden had been recovering from the last few months, even the grass was beginning to grow, the bulbs were starting to show through-late
- had fun with the kids, snowball fight and a new snowman

P3060009.jpg

- did get around 800km riding in this week though-bonus
- was talking to an old goose breeder last september, she told me it was going to be a long hard winter, through to mid april, showed me fresh goose bones and pointed out the darkness in colour, said they were storing unusual ammounts of energy-getting ready

Fantastic dry & sunny biking weather here for the last few days! Daffodils, snowdrops & crocus's flowering everywhere & the birds are even nest building in our garden ! .. That means only one thing..Its going to piss-down with rain next week..:(

Fantastic dry & sunny biking weather here for the last few days! Daffodils, snowdrops & crocus's flowering everywhere & the birds are even nest building in our garden ! .. That means only one thing..Its going to piss-down with rain next week..:(

Does that mean it's just freezing cold, must be just lulling you into a false sence of security before it pisses down until october:laugh:

Jeez, now I know why I left the midwest. Dang Chicago winters were enough for me. Yes, I'm going to be THAT guy and spout off that it will be sunny and 76F here tomorrow. Sure am glad I moved. Until August that is...:eek:

it's going to be a beautiful 10 degrees here today. Going to take advantage and ride around aimlesslly to get a real warm up on the bike after rebuilding the top end this winter, then check everything over again. Happy happy joy joy!

- youre only allowed to ride for 8 mths in the year?...thats hard, and having to pay through the nose for the priviledge simply because the govt cant arrange its finances

- what about plating in nova scotia? any better?

- or plating a smaller, cheaper machine and swapping over?

- Registration costs for 2010...all for 8 months mar 15-nov 15

...........................................A..............B..........C...............D
Mopeds and scooters

Mopeds & scooters...............$214............$4........$12..........$230

Motorcycles

125 cc or less.....................$198............$4.........$40..........$242

126 cc to 400 cc..................$329...........$4.........$40..........$373

401 cc and over (regular).......$583...........$4.........$40..........$627
401 cc and over (high-risk).....$1366..........$4........$40..........$1410

A. Insurance premium (including taxes)
B. Service charge
C. Vehicle registration fee
D. Total

- high risk motorcycles

Here it cost me $50 for 2 years reg.& $50 a year for insurance. My excise tax last year was $7.44. I don't feel so bad now, seeing what you guy's up north pay.:yikes::wtf::shrug:

:yikes: you poor sods, thats bloody outrageous!
Heres how its done here..This is my tax/licence reminder - overdue by a week - I forgot it so thanks for this post reminding me! :eek:

Attachments

• carbfloats 001.jpg
    carbfloats 001.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Because my xs in the UK is pre 72 tax/licence is free, just have to get it tested every year by a freindly tester who keeps the bike in his garage and classic insurance.

actually it's because of the snow tire law, and there are no snow tires (which have the snowflake symbol stamped on them) for motorcycles, and since motorbikes are classified as passenger vehicles, the law applies to them too.

a guy around here just got a 200+$ fine for no snow tires, i've seen a few riders risking it, since the weather's been so beautiful.

That makes no sense at all. Stupid laws should be changed. If it's nice enough to ride a motorcycle on the road, you should be able to, snow tire laws or not!

Back