Rat

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone else in the Northern Domain remember growing up with the concept of a Winter Rat? This was a beat up old car that one could pick up for $200 to $400 in the era when emissions testing was limited.

I decided last year to find an XS650 that I could ride during those very frustrating late fall and early spring months when there is salt on the roads, but it is relatively warm out. Those days when one wouldn't want to bring the nice bikes out.

So, I found a forlorn '80 on the side of the road in western NY with a for sale sign on it for $500, plastered on the tank with duck tape. I took me hours to remove the DT glue, but the bike ran well. Did the usual tune up and maintenance, and refinished the beat-up tank emblem in reverse color scheme, just to be different. Slapped a Jimi Hendrix sticker on the tank, put 1977 handlebars on it, and I was done.

The quadruple bypass operation in december '16 put a damper on my hopes to be on the road by now, but today my cardiologist gave me a thumbs up and actually suggested that I get one of the bikes out for a ride. Of course, I got the '80 out, and had a first-ride-of-the-year that was exhilarating. I could not be happier. Temp in the 70's and the sun was out.

So, for at least today, my '80 Rat is my favorite bike. Perhaps others could understand the sentiment.

BTW, for those concerned, I will certainly take good care of it, just like my '76, '83, and '75.
1980xs650 001.JPG

Attachments

• 1980xs650 007.JPG
    1980xs650 007.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 1980xs650 002.JPG
    1980xs650 002.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
That '80 model just might be the epitome of the Special line. Very nice!
I haven't ridden much due to weather, of course, and waiting for Medicare- 2 more months.........this aca bullshirt is for the birds, might as well have nothing.......but upper 60's today and just hadta. Broke the '77 out today for a short jaunt, 11 vdc and a few kicks and she fired.......tomorrow in the 70's and the '83 gets her turn.
Be safe and mend well.

Excellent - couldn't be happier for you YamaDude! I'll bet it felt absolutely fantastic to be out in the sun, rumbling along and enjoying the breeze the pulsing life of that great old bike. You might want to pull up that cool song by the Travelling Willburys - "End of the Line" and give it a listen.

That song really says it all for me.

BTW - I sent you a PM this afternoon.

Cheers and congrats!

Pete

Great to hear you are back on two wheels Yamadude!
With little to no emissions testing, and a drive til the frame breaks ethic, we still have lots of beater with a heater CL ads.
The FJR got "winter duty" this year, I got the resto mod out Monday for a few miles after a rain washed "most" of the salt off the roads. Gas and choke on, a few kicks, ignition on, it started while I was moving the kick start through to a compression stroke.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support, guys.
And I am in never-ending amazement how energizing an early-evening motorcycle ride can be for the soul.

Pete, the "End of the Line" has been a favorite for many years. Good pick.
Ironically, it was released just before the the passing of Roy O.

I dig the badge treatment. I also dig james, just not the sticker.
Sentiment.... i have a 1980 that was gifted to me. It always ran kinda wierd, even after a ring job i did for the then owner. It had been ridden hard because the po didn't understand carb syncing, dead plug tuning, and taking care of a new cam chain. I spent the better part of yesterday adjusting and tuning. New correct plugs. New caps on fresh wire ends. Im actually surprised it runs as wall as it does.IMG_0748.JPG
Thumbs up on your dr.s thumbs up!!

I dig the badge treatment. I also dig james, just not the sticker.
Sentiment.... i have a 1980 that was gifted to me. It always ran kinda wierd, even after a ring job i did for the then owner. It had been ridden hard because the po didn't understand carb syncing, dead plug tuning, and taking care of a new cam chain. I spent the better part of yesterday adjusting and tuning. New correct plugs. New caps on fresh wire ends. Im actually surprised it runs as wall as it does.View attachment 95486
Thumbs up on your dr.s thumbs up!!

Angus,

The cafe seat looks great on your '80.

The sticker: I've actually never put a sticker on one of my bikes, as it seems tacky to do so, but on an impulsive whim last fall I threw Jimi on for a ride, and it "stuck" in more ways than one. Suits the Rat look, I think. The seat had 5 tears, so I removed the cover and patched them from the inside. The final effect is sort of a rough, Mad Max look. The PO removed the muffler end plates, so its rather loud (perhaps not as loud as yours) and brackish.

The newbie Jimbo has a very nice '80, as well.

Tha seat was only $50 free shipping from china. Could be a couple inches longer, it wasnt boxed had a small tear that could possibly be a cut during manu., but for $50, its good
Plastering your tank with more random stickers looks good to me. Imo

It is great when the doc's prescription is to get your knees in the breeze.

Enjoy that breeze - it's getting chillier around here at least and winter is coming back for a little while unfortunately.

Cheers,

Pete

Back